Frozen pizza

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Frozen pizza

Postby Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:27 am

I've never been a fan of frozen pizza, but a few months ago I happened to see a sale on Essensia frozen pizzas at 3/$10. What the hell, I figured. I got a thin crust and a self-rising crust. They were surprisingly good and I would recommend them.

Some brands use beet powder in the sauce to make it look red. But the sauce has virtually no flavor. I looked before I bought and Essensia had no beet powder.

So what's your favorite frozen pizza? And toppings?

(Yes, I know. Real pizza is much better. And my made-from-scratch pizza is better than almost any pizza joint in Albuquerque--an exception might be Giovanni's, which is in the top 100 in the U.S.)
Last edited by Larry Greenly on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Re: Frozen pizza

Postby Carl Eppig » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:46 am

Haven't seen it, but haven't gazed into very many frozen chests looking. So will look; sounds good.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Doug Surplus » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:57 am

I generally avoid frozen pizza but on occasion I do enjoy some of the less typical ones from Trader Joe's and California Pizza Kitchen.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
Doug Surplus
Wine guru

Postby Bob Ross » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:15 am

Larry, better idea -- make a second one when you make your pizza, and freeze it.

Folks on FLDG -- Robin and Stuart in particular -- have made my home made pizzas so good that we prefer them to any others.

They are easy to make on parchment paper and freeze. I put them on a cookie sheet, then wrap them with Saran Wrap after they are stiff.

Cook them the same as store bought.

Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Barb Freda » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:41 am

I think freschetta's brick oven style (v. thin crust) with spinach and shrooms is damn good for a frozen pizza...no red sauce on it, so no beet powder...and my kids love it, so for a quick meal, it's always a hit...I'd rather have that and PJ's delivery any day.

b
Barb Freda
Ultra geek

Postby MtBakerDave » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:05 pm

I've always liked the Amy's uh .... spinach pizza. Hope I can still get those.
MtBakerDave
Ultra geek

Postby TimMc » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:15 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:I generally avoid frozen pizza but on occasion I do enjoy some of the less typical ones from Trader Joe's and California Pizza Kitchen.

Wait'll you can taste them fresh.....yum :D
TimMc

Postby Jenise » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:57 am

Larry, if I have a pizza jones and can't get my hands on something fresh, I'd rather put a slice of melty cheese on top of a toasted English muffin, add a sprinkle of oregano and a slice or two of fresh tomato if it's available plus a dash of grated parmesan, and broil it. When it's brown, I have something I like better than any frozen pizza I've ever had. Mind you I've not had frozen pizzas since I was a teenager so in fact I don't know what I'm missing, but surely the fresher option is almost as easy, and I know it's more nutritious.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:33 am

You mean there were freezers then? :lol:

Actually frozen foods of all kinds have improved greatly over the decades.
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Return to The Forum Kitchen