The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:47 am

In 1973, I was 26 years old, my daughter was born, and, one of my best friends, then 24, died of complications due to alcoholism. Sometimes, I think what I would have missed if I had done likewise. Heaven knows, I was on the same path.
So every once and awhile, I take a break from wine (and other alcoholic beverages). Mostly, just show myself that I can, lose a few pounds and keep a sense of perspective. But in some part, in consideration of both my daughter and all the time I have had and will continue to have with her, and, my late friend and all the time we didn’t and won’t ever have together.
For the past several weeks, I have been on the wagon – but I’m back.

2004 J. Drouhin, Morgon:
Correct, precise and restrained; I think, hiding a depth and structure that will serve it well medium term. Good now, probably better tomorrow.

1999 G. Robin, Crozes Hermitage, Cuvée Alberic Bouvet:
Slightly closed the first day but still a fine drink; the second day, a prime example of its variety but it might be mistaken for good Côte-Rôtie. Exceptional, complex and showing no signs of fade; quite the contrary, excellent development.

2004 Descendientes de J. Palacios, Bierzo Pétalos:
Very concentrated and evident but very fine, chalky tannins with good balance and intensity. Nothing thick or over-done here; bodes well for a future in the cellar but delicious with stronger flavored fare today.

2002 Tamellini, Soave Classico Anguane:
Ah, Soave . . . spicy, crystalline, lively and complex; all one could want in a white wine to serve along side pasta with lemon shrimp. Beautiful.

1995 Caprai, Sagrantino di Montefalco 25 Anni:
Initial aromas of warm earth, cooked fruit and leather, becomes more oaky with time; still substantial tannins but not overwhelming (anymore) with solid fruit and mineral tones and too much wood. Pretty good when served with assorted cheeses, not especially pleasant on its own.

1999 Chevillon, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Pruliers:
Poured one short pour upon opening and left the bottle open for four hours; youthful, complex and obviously Nuits, this is of a whole cloth; delicious today but the quality is so recognizable that there is little doubt it is on its way to being a great wine. Hold.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: 1973

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:57 am

Florida Jim wrote:So every once and awhile, I take a break from wine (and other alcoholic beverages). Mostly, just show myself that I can, lose a few pounds and keep a sense of perspective. But in some part, in consideration of both my daughter and all the time I have had and will continue to have with her, and, my late friend and all the time we didn’t and won’t ever have together.

Welcome back, Jim. Sounds like a very well-centered approach that works well for you. You've certainly jumped back in to drinking well! Shame about that Sagrantino, though ... maybe it's just me, but I would have opened that bottle with high expectations.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:40 am

[quote="Florida Jim"]2004 Descendientes de J. Palacios, Bierzo Pétalos:
Very concentrated and evident but very fine, chalky tannins with good balance and intensity. Nothing thick or over-done here; bodes well for a future in the cellar but delicious with stronger flavored fare today.

Jim, what is the aging profile of a Bierzo of this quality? I understand some think that this is a clone or cousin of Cabernet Franc.
-OW
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:54 am

OW Holmes wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:2004 Descendientes de J. Palacios, Bierzo Pétalos:

Jim, what is the aging profile of a Bierzo of this quality? I understand some think that this is a clone or cousin of Cabernet Franc.

I'm just getting acquainted with Bierzo and the mencia grape. But this gave every indication of a mid to long term shelf life - we'll just have to wait and see.
(Tasty now, though . . .)
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:46 pm

New for me too, and I also thought it quite good. I drank one and went back for three more. Tasty, but seemed a bit primary so I think I'll leave the rest down for a couple of years, at least, while I concentrate on polishing off those that are past their "drink b4" date.
-OW