Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Frozen pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Frozen pizza

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:27 pm

I've never been a fan of frozen pizza, but a few months ago I happened to see a sale on Essensia frozen pizzas at 3/$10. What the hell, I figured. I got a thin crust and a self-rising crust. They were surprisingly good and I would recommend them.

Some brands use beet powder in the sauce to make it look red. But the sauce has virtually no flavor. I looked before I bought and Essensia had no beet powder.

So what's your favorite frozen pizza? And toppings?

(Yes, I know. Real pizza is much better. And my made-from-scratch pizza is better than almost any pizza joint in Albuquerque--an exception might be Giovanni's, which is in the top 100 in the U.S.)
Last edited by Larry Greenly on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Frozen pizza

by Carl Eppig » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:46 pm

Haven't seen it, but haven't gazed into very many frozen chests looking. So will look; sounds good.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:57 pm

I generally avoid frozen pizza but on occasion I do enjoy some of the less typical ones from Trader Joe's and California Pizza Kitchen.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:15 am

Larry, better idea -- make a second one when you make your pizza, and freeze it.

Folks on FLDG -- Robin and Stuart in particular -- have made my home made pizzas so good that we prefer them to any others.

They are easy to make on parchment paper and freeze. I put them on a cookie sheet, then wrap them with Saran Wrap after they are stiff.

Cook them the same as store bought.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:41 am

I think freschetta's brick oven style (v. thin crust) with spinach and shrooms is damn good for a frozen pizza...no red sauce on it, so no beet powder...and my kids love it, so for a quick meal, it's always a hit...I'd rather have that and PJ's delivery any day.

b
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:05 pm

I've always liked the Amy's uh .... spinach pizza. Hope I can still get those.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:15 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:I generally avoid frozen pizza but on occasion I do enjoy some of the less typical ones from Trader Joe's and California Pizza Kitchen.

Wait'll you can taste them fresh.....yum :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 am

Larry, if I have a pizza jones and can't get my hands on something fresh, I'd rather put a slice of melty cheese on top of a toasted English muffin, add a sprinkle of oregano and a slice or two of fresh tomato if it's available plus a dash of grated parmesan, and broil it. When it's brown, I have something I like better than any frozen pizza I've ever had. Mind you I've not had frozen pizzas since I was a teenager so in fact I don't know what I'm missing, but surely the fresher option is almost as easy, and I know it's more nutritious.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 am

You mean there were freezers then? :lol:

Actually frozen foods of all kinds have improved greatly over the decades.