The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone have an opinion on Wine Behind the Label.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Anyone have an opinion on Wine Behind the Label.

by Bob Ross » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:39 pm

Wine Behind The Label by Philip Williamson and David Moore.

Said to be an annual, updated regularly, with a great deal of accurate biographical info on top winemakers around the world.

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Anyone have an opinion on Wine Behind the Label.

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:05 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Wine Behind The Label by Philip Williamson and David Moore.

Said to be an annual, updated regularly, with a great deal of accurate biographical info on top winemakers around the world.

Very odd, Bob. Never heard of it. Never heard of them. As you've probably seen, Amazon lists it as a $50 paperback (!) discounted to a still steep $31.50.

The publisher has never approached me for a review, and I've never seen it reviewed elsewhere. It also strikes me as odd, and not reassuring, that Amazon promises delivery "in 1 to 3 <i>months</i>."

I sure as heck wouldn't lay out that kind of money without either seeing it first or getting an in-depth rave from someone I trust. At first glance, it looks like a Parker Buying Guide without Parker.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 pm

Totally new to me, Robin, but some of the puff pieces are glowing and from people like Jamie Goode who I really trust.

"Wine behind the Label" won the Louis Roederer/Domaine Ott award this year for the best annual wine guide.

It was totally below my radar -- you've made me feel much better, Robin.

I haven't seen any substantive reviews, though. I'll revert if I learn anything else.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Bob
I've got the 2004 edition.
The authors are (IIRC) ex ghost writers for others, who decided it was time to emerge from the shadows.

The aim appears to be to define and describe the best wines in the region without getting to caught up in vintage variations. The style is relatively hard-hitting (for wine authors that is :wink: ). A good 700 pages of A5 size info. There's a lot there for the money.

The main section for each region discusses recent vintages, a quick overview section, then producer by producer profiles of the best wines (in their opinion), with contact details. Other wines of note are simply listed at the end of each chapter, along with a few (IMO pointless) lists e.g. 10 fine german whites not from riesling. No tasting notes supplied, but vibes given about wines in general and occasionally referring to a particular vintage or run of vintages.

So although it's an annual, this isn't a book that is particularly vintage focused. I suspect it's one where you might buy the latest version and throw away the one you have.

IMO I think it's got some merit - particularly in the focus at the top end of the market. I have referred to it, but I'm not necessarily convinced it's better than (say) Hugh Johnsons pocket book.

Might also be a little Euro-centric (I believe they're both brits)

Recommendation? Buy if it gets reduced to the point you fancy a gamble, but IMO it doesn't have to be the latest version. I got my 2004 edition about 2 years ago in a charity shop for £3.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

wine country,sonoma county CA

by Carlo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:45 pm

Good grape make a good wine
the vineyard ,soil,climate and it`s farmer....
winemakers get to much credit for what the good lord provides.

sure they prevent spoilage and add barrel flavors but ....... Come on !

What`s the difference between God and a winemaker.....?

God does not think he`s a winemaker :lol: