The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Poujeaux 96, 00, 01

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Poujeaux 96, 00, 01

by Saina » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:22 pm

I like Poujeaux. They make a true tasting Bordeaux and are priced fairly. Also, they tend to age well while being accessible young. I was happy to taste through a couple vintages that have recently been available here in the cold dreary north.

Poujeaux 1996

Cassis and cigar box - almost stereotypical Bordeaux aromas, but sooo delicious! It does seem a bit reticent, so it could do with a few more years aging. The tight palate supports this view: much tannins, there is a great concentration of fruit also, but it is a bit shy. Great length and great freshness. A delightful wine and gave me immense pleasure despite being a bit closed.

Poujeaux 2000

This did not give me great pleasure. I know I'll make myself unpopular by saying this, but I beleive foremost in honesty so I'll say this anyway: I like cooler vintages. This didn't smell ripe. It smelled over-ripe. This didn't taste fruity, it tasted almost confected. There was also that strange lactic scent which I so often get with super-ripeness and new oak (though I have no idea how much new oak this sees). It was more like blueberry liquer than wine. There is some acidity showing, but not quite the amount to make the aftertaste fresh. This may be well made, but since I want to be honest, I'll admit that I didn't like it.

But I have a question about these warm vintages. The 2000s have been present in many tastings over here, and they always seem to show, if not explosive, at least expressive. Don't warm vintages close down?

Poujeaux 2001

Quite a delightful wine! The nose was herbal, savoury, leafy, but with nice fruit. The palate was similar. There was great balance for my tastes and great freshness on the long finish.

Despite my short note, this was maybe the most memorable of the three for me for its freshness and "naturalness".
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Poujeaux 96, 00, 01

by James Dietz » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:02 pm

the 1998 Poujeaux is one of the most aromatic wines I have ever opened.. delightful. I will have to remember to look for the 2001. Thank you for the note, Otto.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Otto, while I like the 2000's more than you do, I think they need a lot more age. The '01s are so much better now. They may always be better. I am going to have to search out this Chateau. Great notes as always.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:40 pm

Haven't had the others but loved the 96 too. Found it about as you did one year ago, where the 98 was--well, what Jim said. Just lovely. Exuberant but not over the top.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Nice notes and very encouraging for me as I have a small as yet untried stock of all these vintages as well as 94, 95, 98 and 99. It sounds as if i should add to my stock of 2001 which a local supermarket is offering at EUR 18,99 until the end of the month.

Lately there have been some discordant voices about Poujeaux. For example Le Classement edited by La Revue du Vin de France has demoted the estate from 2 stars to no stars in less than five years complaining of a loss of depth in the wines from about 2000 compared to previous vintages. I have tasted barrel samples of 00, 01 and 02 and, allowing for the difficulty of enjoying young Médoc, they seemed very good and solid to me and at least equal to the samples of several higher ranking estates. I am glad to have this confirmation of 2001 and 2000(?) showing so well after several years in bottle.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:44 pm

Jenise and Jim:

Must be something about the '98s in that neck of the Bordeaux vineyard. My beloved (and no longer imported, post 2000) Ch. Fourcas-Hosten (Listrac) showed in a similar fashion. Impeccable sauce for the money!

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:53 pm

I'm on the search for 01 Poujeaux, and 97 and 99 GPL... damn these wine boards!! My CC is suffering!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:17 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Otto, while I like the 2000's more than you do, I think they need a lot more age. The '01s are so much better now. They may always be better. I am going to have to search out this Chateau. Great notes as always.

James, all of these were too young - but all apart from the '96 were fully open.

Tim York wrote:Nice notes and very encouraging for me as I have a small as yet untried stock of all these vintages as well as 94, 95, 98 and 99. It sounds as if i should add to my stock of 2001 which a local supermarket is offering at EUR 18,99 until the end of the month.

I'd go ahead and buy the 2001 - with the caveat that I like lean and mean wines! ;) At that price I'd buy a couple cases: one to drink now before it closes down and one to lay down.

James Dietz wrote:I'm on the search for 01 Poujeaux, and 97 and 99 GPL... damn these wine boards!! My CC is suffering!

Good choices! Once you taste these three wines, I'm sure your CC will forgive you ;)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.