Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Which cuisine would you like to study with a true master?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Which cuisine would you study?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Chinese
22%
Italian
26%
Classic French
33%
Indian
11%
Spanish
No votes
South American
No votes
Japanese (including sushi)
4%
Vietnamese
4%

Total votes : 27
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Which cuisine would you like to study with a true master?

by Jenise » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:14 pm

This message is going to appear AFTER the poll, but pretend it's the other way around, okay?

There are types of foods that many of us never do at home but tend to go out to finner for. Oh, sure, we incorporate a few items that are related or even authentically en pointe, but we do that because we love those flavors while remaining firmly in our base cuisine based mostly on regional typicity and mom's cooking.

But what about achieving true proficiency? Which cuisine other than your own would you opt to study with a real pro breakfast, lunch and dinner?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Definitely Indian

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:29 pm

I've had a few lessons cooking at the side of some friends from India, but I would love to feel as confident "whipping something up" in this cuisine as I do in most others.

Great question, Jenise! What's your personal answer?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Which cuisine would you like to study with a true master

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:22 pm

Sorry, I'm going to be difficult.

With a true master, I'd study ANY of those cuisines, with the exception of South America. Which box should I check?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:34 pm

Certainly Classic French here.

Bet you never thought I'd say that ... :lol:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:28 pm

Jenise wrote:Which cuisine other than your own would you opt to study with a real pro breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Tough call. Very, very tough. I'm inclined to agree with Stuart. But if I have to pick one, it would have to be Italian. I love it, I'm good at it already, and it makes me happy.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:57 pm

definately another vote for Italian here. Many of my dishes have an Italian-American inspiration already, but I don't have much experience with the real thing beyond what I've learned by reading and/or watching Mario. I'd love a chance to learn how to really cook Italian dishes at the feet of a master.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:39 am

I voted for Chinese. It's a cuisine I enjoy, but am uncomfortable with in the kitchen. I need lessons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Definitely Indian

by Jenise » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Cynthia, though what I eat and cook is more Italian in sensibility than anything, I voted Chinese, and it was a hard choice between that and classic French. I wouldn't have turned down a shot at Indian, either.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Can we have more choices?

by Bernard Roth » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:01 pm

I am already "expert" in Classic French cuisine - at least as expert as I'm likely to need to be at home. But Modern French cuisine is a different story. May I?

To the extent that Modern French borrows a lot from Japanese and Modern Spanish, those are my next choices.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Richard_Atkinson

Rank

Just got here

Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:38 pm

Italian....no doubt...

by Richard_Atkinson » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:43 pm

As Robin says...we're pretty good at it now, but we'd love to learn more.

Richard
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:26 am

French would be my last choice. Maybe I am not correct but when I think of classic French I think of many ingredients, too many sauces and in general heavy flavors. French cooking is changing, becoming much lighter and fresher but Classic French with a master would be more interesting as a knowledge and technique base than as a cuisine for me. For the same reasons I would choose Italian, one main ingredient, lots of herbs and just add bread and wine.
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:53 am

I picked Chinese, but I would truly love a chance to study Thai cuisine in all its variations.

I'm pretty comfortable with French and Italian. The Asian cuisines just baffle me though. Even when I faithfully follow a recipe from a good source I get it all wrong.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:13 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I picked Chinese, but I would truly love a chance to study Thai cuisine in all its variations.

I'm pretty comfortable with French and Italian. The Asian cuisines just baffle me though. Even when I faithfully follow a recipe from a good source I get it all wrong.

Same reason I chose Chinese. And Thai? Dumb me, I meant to include that on the list.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:27 pm

I feel totally uninhibited with Mediterranean cuisines but recipe locked for all Asian cuisines. I would like to study with any Chinese, Thai, Japanese , Vietnamese expert . It's not so much the techniques that are daunting but simply the "feel" and "intuition" of combining ingredients and flavorings. Great question.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:48 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I picked Chinese, but I would truly love a chance to study Thai cuisine in all its variations.

It's a really tough question, no doubt! I can cook French, Italian and Indian reasonably well, and those are the ones that I'd probably study if I had a chance. Plus Southern cooking!

I'd love to cook a little Thai as well, but I've never had any luck with it. I'm even less than a rank beginner with Thai. For that reason I wouldn't want to study it with a world-class chef. I would never have hired Vladimir Horowitz to teach me beginner piano for example, even if I could have when he was alive. The idea is ridiculous. Same with a top chef teaching me the basics of cooking.

Dave
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:24 pm

I got into cooking the other way around. Chinese was what I started with, and I have a pretty good foundation with it and other Asian cuisines. But I still feel uncomfortable and a bit lost with French or other European continental cuisine.

I'd like to study Indian cuisine with a master. I can prepare various Indian dishes from detailed recipes, but I don't have a feel for what makes it tick--which spices to use when, for example. I have a good grasp of the systematics behind Chinese cooking, and Julia Child's "The Way To Cook" gave me similar insights into French cooking, but with Indian cooking I still feel I'm just following a formula without really understanding why it works.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:59 am

I'm curious about what goes wrong. Perhaps we can dissect your problem and get you on the road to Thai cooking, one of my faves.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:03 pm

I'm with Bernard.

When I'm really cooking, most everything I do is some simplified French, Italian Continental European type thing. When I'm really, really cooking, it's more classical French stuff.

I voted Japanese because I would love to add more non-traditional (i.e. non-european) elements to things I cook even though I try (sometimes successfully!) already some. + I love seafood. My second choice would be Vietnamese.
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:01 pm

Gee - no one but me voted for Vietnamese?

Maybe it is because good friends have just returned from a month in Laos and Viet Nam, taking cooking courses there, but it sounds fascinating and isn't old hat like European cuisine.

At least you sensibly left US out of the choices ("Can I offer you fries with that?")

Does anyone know what that smiley is DOING? It looks vaguely rude......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:At least you sensibly left US out of the choices

And Canadian and English....

And, um, that smiley of yours. I think Stu Yaniger posed for it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:28 pm

Jenise wrote:And Canadian and English....

Ahh - maybe the smiley is an English chef having his way with a Yorkie....pudding, of course!
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:59 am

i would choose vietnam

because,

french is very familiar to me :roll: ,

italian ? well, i`m italian :wink:

japanese? i`m going into since a few years. :lol:

chinese? but only the real back-country (incl. all kind of food :shock: !!) would be an interesting option

vietnam : (eat-drink-man-woman) yes, that really old kitchen and to learn to make all these stuff, 8) , yes that is my first chioce!
Tsunami alias Albino