The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Krems and Frenz with Friends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Krems and Frenz with Friends

by Jenise » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:46 am

I guess it had to happen, even though I hadn't imagined it possible, but I finally ran into a gruner I couldn't finish. The 2003 Stadt Krems from Weinzierlberg was simply dull and uninteresting. It was dull the day I opened it, it was dull three days later, and the remainders were identically (though impressively unchanged) dull five weeks later (it had been refrigerated). What do I mean by dull? Well, dull. DULL. It wasn't not-there in that corked way some wines appear to be absent flavor, it just had dull, unexciting, unadventurous, unremarkable flavors. A complete and utter bore.

A perfect example of the opposite--exciting, adventurous, remarkable--was the 2005 La Frenz "Small Lots" Sauvignon Blanc. Almost clear in color, with savagely grassy gooseberry notes and an unexpected (the 04 was drier) bit of RS that actually compliments rather than detracts, this is a really inspired offering from one of BC's best white winemakers.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Krems and Frenz with Friends

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:47 pm

Way to go Jenise..La Frenz!! Would never have thought of the SB though.
Did you see the pics from the Mishy do?? I did not see a comment!!!