Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pricey marmalade.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Pricey marmalade.

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:29 pm

I'm a little reluctant to conduct a taste test of this Marmalade], but it fun to think about a $100 + piece of toast. :-)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Pricey marmalade.

by James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:36 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I'm a little reluctant to conduct a taste test of this Marmalade], but it fun to think about a $100 + piece of toast. :-)

What do the gold flakes add to the mix? They sound stupid. The rest of it.... Maybe it's marmelade for the hip-hop mogul. You know the bling-bling factor. Wait 'til the next rap artist features jars of marmelade in his video. I'll be all over MTV. All the young rappers will have to have it. Maybe they could smear it across their faces? Won't that look great?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:02 pm

James, someone in Napa is making a white wine with gold flakes in it. Can't recall who/what, but I do remember it wasn't as expensive as I presumed it would be, maybe $25.

And Bob, I took the liberty of editing your post to turn the word 'Marmalade' orange. Just couldn't help myself....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:09 pm

Jenise, what do gold flakes do for flavor of anything? This just sounds like a ****** (insert appropriate expletive here) marketing ploy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:20 pm

That's all it is, James, a marketing gimmick. The review I read of the wine actually observed that the wine was better than you expect for one burdened with a marketing gimmick like gold flakes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Thanks for editing, Jenise -- I need all the help I can get. :-)

The winery is Hundred Acres -- about $25 a bottle as you say, and all on a waiting list at the present time according to their website.

I've seen the Chard -- the gold flecks sure were pretty, and so few I'm sure they can't affect taste in any way. But I loved the way the flecks danced through the wine -- I'm sure the marmalade looks prettier with the gold flecks, too.

I've known some awfully pretty ladies that used the same ingredient to enhance their appearances. :-)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:26 pm

Jenise wrote:That's all it is, James, a marketing gimmick. The review I read of the wine actually observed that the wine was better than you expect for one burdened with a marketing gimmick like gold flakes.

Dumb! :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:04 pm

Ah, our friends at Hundred Acre. Marketing geniuses who plumb the basest, most ridiculous inclinations of the acquisitive, designer-label types who are more concerned with appearances than quality. I remember when I read the first press release about their $150 cabernet--stupidly predicting that they'd bomb. Well, they showed me!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:09 pm

You and James are such cynics, Jenise. :-)

Remember, "All that glitters is not gold ....

but sometimes it is."

And often, great fun -- look what Dolly Parton did with glitter.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:23 pm

Don't forget the cinnamon-flavored liqueur, Goldschlager.

And in India, there are some rice dishes with pieces of gold or silver leaf placed on top.

Actually, the amount of gold in these examples is quite small. The gold flakes in Goldschlager are maybe a dollar's worth. The gold leaf on the Indian dishes isn't that expensive; don't forget that signmakers use it for lettering on office doors, etc.

A 25-leaf book of genuine gold leaf is less than $25. See this art supply place: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-suppl ... online/895