Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Marinades for bbq beef fillet - ideas?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Marinades for bbq beef fillet - ideas?

by David Lole » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:54 am

Over the years, I've experimented with a number of different marinades for eye fillets. Tonight, for instance, I combined crushed garlic, pepper, Indonesian soy and a few drops of sesame oil to a whole fillet cut into roughly 6 equal pieces. After a couple of hours of marinating, I wrapped the pieces with a lean rash of bacon and cooked them on the weber (top off) for about 20 minutes (turning regularly to crisp the bacon). The marinade was used as a base for a simple gravy, with a little more sesame oil and soy added for more flavour.

Anyone have another favourite marinade for beef fillet they would be kind enough to pass on? TIA.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Marinades for bbq beef fillet - ideas?

by John Tomasso » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:34 am

Tender as filets are, I've never been inclined to marinate them at all. For lending flavor, I prefer saucing them after they're cooked.

I usually reserve my marinating for meats that are a bit tougher, and slower to cook.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:36 am

John Tomasso wrote:Tender as filets are, I've never been inclined to marinate them at all. For lending flavor, I prefer saucing them after they're cooked.

I usually reserve my marinating for meats that are a bit tougher, and slower to cook.

Ditto.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:56 am

John Tomasso wrote:Tender as filets are, I've never been inclined to marinate them at all. For lending flavor, I prefer saucing them after they're cooked.

Me three. For some reason, I've never really gotten into marinades. There are so many procedural alternatives for tough cuts, and I'm not really fond of the texture of long-marinated meat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Me four!

I think filets are flavorless and need something lest they taste like liver, but my favorite prep is more a paste than a marinade, applied about an hour before, of smooshed garlic and olive oil seasoned with both salt and sugar, then lots of coarse black pepper pressed into the flesh just before they go on the grill.

And then I sometimes pan fry filets in order to make a pan sauce of brandy, cream and blue cheese.

David, your version sounds good, though. What's the name of Indonesian soy again, I know I know it. The word is similar to the American 'Ketchup' but not quite--kecip?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

My favorite Beef Filets recipe

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Beef Filets

Buy filet weighing 3 to 4 lbs.

Soy sauce
Butter
Worcestershire sauce
Sour cream
Prepared horseradish

The night before the party, marinate filet in soy sauce 8 hours, turning several times.
On the morning of the day of the party, brown filets in butter with Worcestershire sauce. This step gives color and flavor. Set aside.

45 minutes before serving place filet in an open roasting pan. Roast 450° for about 45 min. The beef will be medium rare. Slice thin and keep warm. Serve with a sauce composed of equal portions of sour cream and horseradish.

*My notes: I have never found a filet as large as this recipe calls for. I usually do two filets that weigh around 2 1/2 lbs. for 45 min.
This recipe is excellent - I also serve Bernaise Sauce with the meat sometimes. We like this best.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:11 am

Jenise wrote:Me four!

I think filets are flavorless and need something lest they taste like liver, but my favorite prep is more a paste than a marinade, applied about an hour before, of smooshed garlic and olive oil seasoned with both salt and sugar, then lots of coarse black pepper pressed into the flesh just before they go on the grill.

And then I sometimes pan fry filets in order to make a pan sauce of brandy, cream and blue cheese.

David, your version sounds good, though. What's the name of Indonesian soy again, I know I know it. The word is similar to the American 'Ketchup' but not quite--kecip?

Ketjap Manis - perhaps? :wink:

I see the others' points about using a sauce rather than a marinade. I'm not much chop at sauces, always seem to get them wrong. But I'm working on it! I agree about using the marinade sparingly and not for too long. Thanks everyone for the heads up thus far.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Ketjap, yeah. That be the stuff.

But about steak--there's no one right way to do it. I like my steaks flavored but not sauced, per se. Others like you do it the other way round. And I have a friend who lives for beef and likes hers broiled naked--not even salted, before cooking or after. I couldn't even eat that!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov