Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Apple time again

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Apple time again

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:37 pm

Northern New Mexico is also known for apples. About an hour north of Albuquerque is the interesting Dixon's apple orchard, known for their Champagne and Sparkling Burgundy apples. The Champagne apples sell out instantly, so I've never tasted them, but they're supposed to be really yummy. I did score a few Sparkling Burgundy apples today from a friend who visited the orchard a couple of days ago. Crisp and sweet. http://www.dixonapples.com

So what's your fave?
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Re: Apple time again

by ScottD » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:11 am

Larry Greenly wrote:So what's your fave?

Here in SW Michigan one of the favorite varieties is Honey Crisp. The lady who gives out samples at the orchard we go to, Crane's, tells everyone they're picking gold. They limit u-pick to Saturday's and they carry a premium price, I think .75/lb vs. .55 for their others. But they're well worth it. Honey Crisp are a large, reddish green apple that get a golden side where the sun hits them. They're solid and sweet but not super apple-ly, they have maybe a hint of apricot to them. They're an eating apple, not something you'd want to "waste" on a pie or other baking. We've gone through probably 20# in the last 3 weeks. We went picking last Sunday and they're all gone,,, we picked Empires, made a really good pie!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:29 am

My favorite is Cortland. There is a cider mill up the road from me with absolutely wonderful cider. I believe they blend Empires and Macs. In addition, they sell fresh pressed Concord grape juice. (Attn: PaulB) :D
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Howie Hart wrote:In addition, they sell fresh pressed Concord grape juice. (Attn: PaulB) :D

I sure wish this year's Concords were nice, because I would have bought them already. But so many that were being sold were just completely unacceptable: half-unripe, about 1/5 covered with white mold, etc. Nasty, nasty.

Of course, sloppy handling can explain much of it - but so can the miserably rainy and cold September we've been having. I can't believe it, but I may actually make my homemade wine this year from Californian Moscato ... :oops:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:52 pm

There's Ida Red and there's everything else.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:37 pm

My local fave is Macoun. Smallish, flavorful, crisp, and most excellent tart acidity. I like Cortland too but when the Macoun are ready, I'll head for the trees for picking.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:33 pm

Our Spartan apples this year have red flesh in places -- looks very attractive, but I don't recall seeing so much colour in previous years
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:38 pm

For cooking, we like Early Cortland. It is quite different from regular or mainseason Cortlands. The Early is green & red with stripes and is pear shaped, while the regular is round and red. Sometimes you see them in the same bin or basket at the farmer's market. Hopefully we will be putting in a tree next spring.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:21 pm

Ribston! Tart, stylish and complex, but not to be eaten on this side of New Year(!) Properly stored they become unbeatable. According to apple lore, Ribston is tha parent of both Cox's Orange (which it quite closely relembles) and Cox's Pomona (which is very different).

BTW, if you check one of my postings to the Netscape Wine Lover's Community, and look at my avatar(?), you will see a picture of a Ribston apple.

Cheers, Anders