The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed May 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Tried this last night at dinner:
1. Dom.Andre et Mireille Tissot Traminer AC: Arbois/Jura (13%) V par StephaneTissot 2004: Med.dark gold color; some spicy/floral/nutmeg/GWT/perfumed rather earthy/minerally/chalky slight nutty/oxidized very interesting/unusual nose; tart/lean/minerally/chalky mildly spicy/floral/GWT slight nutty/oxidized interesting flavor; long rather minerally/chalky/earthy/stoney light floral/spicy/GWT fairly lean/austere interesting finish; speaks mostly of Arbois minerality/chalky w/ nuances of spicy/GWT; a very interesting rendition of Traminer. $27.00
1. Oftentimes, "interesting" is used to describe a wine you don't like but feel compelled to say something nice about. In this case "interesting" .NOT.= "bad". I really liked this wine and appreciated its minerality and low-key GWT character. Nice stuff.
Tom
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

by Rahsaan » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm

TomHill wrote: a very interesting rendition of Traminer.

You do know that Traminer is another local name for Savagnin. So it has nothing to do with Gewurztraminer. I was also confused/surprised when I first had the wine and thought it was Gewurztraminer. But I liked it regardless.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Wed May 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
TomHill wrote: a very interesting rendition of Traminer.

You do know that Traminer is another local name for Savagnin. So it has nothing to do with Gewurztraminer. I was also confused/surprised when I first had the wine and thought it was Gewurztraminer. But I liked it regardless.

I guess I did know that, but had forgotten it. But the slightly floral character spoke to me of a mild-mannered GWT-like wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Wed May 19, 2010 3:21 pm

I thought that Savagnin and Gewürztraminer were both spin-offs of Traminer. Challenging to keep them straight, especially since the names (with many other variations) are interchanged at times.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Better late than...
According to Jancis, Savagnin and Traminer have identical DNA and Gewurztraminer is the musque mutation of Traminer.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi Tom -

Thanks for the interesting note. I've never encountered as Savagnin that was actually labeled as Traminer, though Dan and Rahsaan are both right - Savagnin and the non-spicy Traminer are indeed the same thing.

Confusingly, there are some wines from Alto Adige that are labeled as "Traminer", which are definitely Gewurztraminer, as opposed to Savagnin.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Andrew Bair wrote:Hi Tom -
Thanks for the interesting note. I've never encountered as Savagnin that was actually labeled as Traminer, though Dan and Rahsaan are both right - Savagnin and the non-spicy Traminer are indeed the same thing.
Confusingly, there are some wines from Alto Adige that are labeled as "Traminer", which are definitely Gewurztraminer, as opposed to Savagnin.

I don't see often AltoAdige wines labeled as Traminer...usually as GWT, Andrew. But they usually speak strongly of GWT when I do try them.
Tom
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

TomHill wrote:
Andrew Bair wrote:Hi Tom -

I don't see often AltoAdige wines labeled as Traminer...usually as GWT, Andrew. But they usually speak strongly of GWT when I do try them.
Tom

Actually, I've also had an Austrian 'Traminer' eiswein, which was most likely Gewurz given the pronounced floral aromas.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Traminer Aromatico is the Italian way of saying Gewürztraminer, at least outside of the German labelled wines of the Alto Adige. (The smaller producers all use German, some of the larger producers use Italian labels for export marketing.)

I think the Alto Adige region is having trouble giving up on GWZ as indigenous, although they clearly must. Well, the name is indigenous...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Back in the early mid '60s when we lived near Nancy, France; we could wines from Alsace made from both Traminer and Gewurtztraminer at our local store. Don't remember the producers, but both wines were very different.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 pm

“Traminer” (like “Pinot” and “Muscat”) should be viewed as a “family of grapes”. Consisting of possible several variations- “White Traminer”; “Red Traminer”; “Gris Traminer”; “Large berry Traminer”; “Small berry Traminer”; “Musque (aromatic) Traminer”; “Non Musque (non- aromatic) Traminer”; “Spicy Traminer”; etc. Since most of us only deal with the wines produced from grapes (the various wine styles and types- “oxidation style” vs. “non- oxidation style”; barrel vs. stainless steel for instance) just makes things more complicated. The name “Gewürztraminer” or “Spicy Traminer” came about because of a particular style or type of wine that was produced from a given grape. (Or in some cases just by the way the grape tasted and smelled, what it looked like, where it came from etc.)

Salute