The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 St. Innocent Seven Springs Oregon.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1999 St. Innocent Seven Springs Oregon.

by Bob Ross » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:28 am

1999 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Seven Springs Vineyard Willamette Valley Oregon. 13.6% alcohol. Burgundy Wine Company Selection, New York, NY. $35.00.

Deep red color, deep hue, no bricking, intense fruit and spice aroma and taste at the getgo, fading slowly over three hours in the glass, hints of earth at first in both aroma and taste, with the earthen notes becoming predominant over the same period, mild acidity, good tannins, well developed, medium to full mouth feel, good balance, long finish. Fascinating to see how each of the elements -- fruit, spice, earth, acidity and tannins changed over time. A very nice wine. 4*.

Notes: Jenise was kind enough to point out that a Henri Gouges Nuit St. Georges was Mark Vlossak's ephiphany wine; I had a 1993 Gouges on the previous evening and loved it. There were certainly similarities between the two styles; the major difference I found was that the Gouges was beatifully balanced from the very beginning with none of the components prominent, each seemed to be in equal balance over the three hours I dawdled over my glass. the Vlossak was in balance, but the components changed in quite remarkable ways -- it achieved that equality of components about an hour into the evening, and then after another hour the earthen notes started to predominate. Both were lovely wines. Next time I'll try a side by side tasting of Gouges/Vlossak wines.

I had hoped to try a somewhat older St. Innocent, but found that my two older bottles were both corked. An interesting discovery -- the first corked St. Innocents after 45 taint free bottles. My corked rate this year is running just under 9.4%.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1999 St. Innocent Seven Springs Oregon.

by Jenise » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:40 am

Were the older bottles both 94s? I remember that you still had some from that vintage, and though its too bad they were corked you still might not have a good wine there--I had a good bottle last December (of the 7 Springs) but two OTH duds since.

At seven years old, your 99 should have been just starting to wake up. But the 99 vintage might be acting differently, where would you guess this wine's going? I'm a little concerned that it faded on you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:59 am

One was a 1994, Jenise, and one a 1998. Both Seven Springs.

The fruit lasted for two hours in the glass with modest to vigorous swirling. I really enjoyed each stage of the wine's journey, so I'm not concerned. But I do think it's time to start drinking both the 1998's and the 1999's -- there was some nice fruit behind the corkiness of the 1998 although I didn't linger. :-)

Thanks for pointing out Mark's inspiration wine -- I loved comparing the two wines.

Regards, Bob

PS: Did you get my email/ any interest in the wine I mentioned? B.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:50 pm

So, I guess my 04 SI Seven Springs needs to sit quietly for some time before I try it?

I opened the 04 Shea recently, cuz I had been told that of all the bottlings, it was most approachable. But it was tight, tight, tight. And, I didn't get the acidity I like in my Pinots. So, maybe even that one was too early to touch.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:07 pm

Baby killer, James. :-)

I have great hopes for the 2004.