The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Poll: Go-to hot weather wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What is your go-to wine in hot weather

Rose
37%
Riesling
22%
Muscadet
2%
Chablis
No votes
Sauvignon Blanc
13%
Other White (comments please)
4%
Gamay
2%
Pinot Noir
No votes
Other Red (comments please)
No votes
I don't care how hot it is, I drink what I want
20%
Beer
No votes

Total votes : 46
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Poll: Go-to hot weather wine

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 29, 2010 10:16 am

The hot weather has already started on the East Coast, but regardless of where you are the question is: what is your go-to hot weather wine? I could say Riesling, especially in drier (e.g. halbtrocken, feinherb) styles, but more often than not when it gets really hot I find myself going after the supply of rose in the cellar.

The poll is rather short on options (especially reds), but feel free to pick one of the "other" categories & tell us about your choice when Mother Nature delivers a scorcher.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Poll: Go-to hot weather wine

by James Roscoe » Sat May 29, 2010 10:22 am

It's 50/50 rose or Riesling. I think I prefer Riesling so I picked it. No reason for the choice other than preference and it is a close call. Sometimes it is just water or iced tea.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat May 29, 2010 11:12 am

Voted for drink what I want. Granted on a given day hot weather might affect what I cook and eat, and therefore the wine will follow.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 am

Riesling (which should surprise nobody). Gruner Veltliner also works.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sat May 29, 2010 11:35 am

Txakoli, vinho verde, verdejo, non-champagne sparklers, along with, of course, rosé.

And beer when it's hot. Or cold. Or rainy. Or slightly overcast. Or windy. Or hailing. Or . . .
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat May 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Go-to means to me a wine that I would immediately consider for the circumstances of hot weather. I drink the panolpy of whites year round, so hot weather does not incur a change in white wine habits.

Thus, I selected rose, because the new vintage of rose becomes available in spring. Rose also is a good substitute for red as the cuisine lightens in summer.

I would augment my usual selection of all-year whites to include the varietals that most suggest summer - albarino/alvarinho, txakoli, torrontes, tocai friulano, and prosecco that I tend to look for in summer.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat May 29, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm a "whatever" person. I'll happily drink Pinot Noir on a 100 degree day - maybe I'll keep it a bit cool. Or Chenin Blanc in February. Or beer any day. :P

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 30, 2010 10:29 am

I drink wine all year round but I admit that under certain conditions it is not always the best idea. When it's really hot (and there is no AC to mimic cooler times of year) I have found that young fresh white wines are the best. Aged white wines can seem too tired and don't provide enough life to cut through the heat. But as I said, with sufficient AC none of this matters.

Unless someone wants to talk about the effects of humidity on wine?
no avatar
User

Wick White

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 am

West-Steiermark, Austria

by Wick White » Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm

It's been raining for almost 2 months now here in Styria. Still drinking lots of reds :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 30, 2010 6:04 pm

I voted other just so I could add Prosecco, because I believe modest sparkling wines (Prosecco, Cremant, selected Cavas) make about as good a summer refresher as it gets. That said, I wouldn't turn down an artisanal beer or fresh quality import brew on a summer day, and like others have said, when it comes to dinner time, I'll generally go with whatever fits the fare, even if it's a substantial red.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun May 30, 2010 8:48 pm

If it's outdoors, and it's warm, it's gotta be a rosé. The whole point of it is that you look cool drinking it while sitting under a Cinzano umbrella. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:The whole point of it is that you look cool drinking it while sitting under a Cinzano umbrella. :mrgreen:

Do you have one of these in your backyard?
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun May 30, 2010 11:32 pm

A lean clean sauvignon blanc, or a pale riesling.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon May 31, 2010 12:33 am

I voted for other white wines but that might also include a few reds for easy quaffing on a summer's day:

Well chilled unoaked dry still whites (Chardonnay, Viognier and Sauvignon Blanc being preferences)
Cava or Prosecco
Equally well chilled roses
Light fruity reds, somewhat chilled and if the mood is right, an ice cube droppe into the glass (e.g. Beaujolais Villages)
And, if feeling especially depressed (or especially good), Champagne.

Drink those all year 'round but those are the summer quaffers.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:29 am

I voted Sauvignon Blanc. I have about 12 bottles of white wines in a certain location to drink over the summer and the majority are S.B. from New Zealand or Sancerre, France. But there are also a couple Albarinos from Spain, one Saumur (dry Chenin Blanc) and maybe a California Pinot Gris. I also tend to drink more Riesling in the summer than at other times of year and look forward to some rose's, mainly from France or Spain. I will drink Pinot Noirs any season and usually have them slightly chilled. I may dip into some Zinfandels for broiled or grilled meats. But the go-to wine for me in hot weather is a Sauvignon Blanc. It also adapts well to salads with vinaigrette, asparagus, broccoli, green beans, fish and other things I might be eating in the summer.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:35 pm

For us, it's rosé, no question. Prosecco would probably come in a close second.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:57 pm

I tend to drink a lot more beer in the hot weather (or as someone above said, in the cold weather, cool weather, warm weather, etc. etc.) but when the mercury rises I definitely go for Rieslings, Rose, or sparklers. Our neighbors have been bringing out the Vinho Verde and that goes down a treat. This is where I don't mind lower prices points and the acid being more than a bit front and center than normal. The reds that take to the chill, I'll do of an evening.
no avatar
User

Larry Dalton

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Texas

by Larry Dalton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Riesling for me but Rose' would be a closer 2nd than it is if I bought more. I don't cellar any at all...I buy it in the summer and drink it. The temp here Monday was about 95 degrees.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm

I voted rose, but riesling and a NZ sauvignon blanc would also be go to wines on a hot day. Moscato d'Asti as well!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:21 pm

(Bone Jolly, Heart of Gold, ESJ) Albarino Do Ferreiro, are my main go to wines plus some riesling, couple of other Roses.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Sauv blanc and rose, possibly in that order. I just want it cold enough to frost the glass.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi David,

Definitely riesling for me :!: Gewurztraminer second and Rose is a distant third.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:35 pm

I really don't change my habits just because of the weather, unless the weather is very severe.
Just like my tea drinking, I might have something 'more appropriate' to the time, so an herbal tea for later at night when caffeine would keep me up, or a more delicate tea in the early evening instead of a breakfast tea. There is no A/C in my house, so unlike others here, you feel the weather, particularly in summer on 90-degree days. Yet, even on days like that, I'll reach for a grenache-based wine or an aglianico if it matches the food. To me, the food match is the most important part. If it doesn't match, the wine gets nixed, no matter the temperature outside/inside. That said, I'm more partial to drinking 'seaside whites' during this time, which might include muscadet or Ligurian pigatos or Bandol blancs. Riesling to me is a spring and fall wine, and roses I don't have much use for : it's like the 'no-opinion' option that pollsters have and equally as bland (neither red nor white, neither here nor there, kind of a suburban option for winedrinkers who cannot express their preference). I can see the use of higher acid, lighter, and lively reds for summertime fun, like Beaujolais, basque reds, lighter Loire's: these are the winedrinker's sodapop on hot days and go well with so much.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:03 pm

i love chilled, high sugar, high acid, low alcohol rieslings - so refreshing, delicious on their own without food and almost too drinkable.
I also love very chilled frizzante styled muscats - good Italians of course but some lovely drops coming out of Australia too.
And of course I have to put NZ Sauvignon Blanc in there. Anything that can taking chilling without losing what the wine is all about is perfect for hot weather IMO.
Next