The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Terredora DiPaulo Falanghina Irpinia DOC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

WTN: 2004 Terredora DiPaulo Falanghina Irpinia DOC

by alex metags » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:28 am

Very pale yellow. Nose of citrus and green apple, with like notes on the palate. Medium bodied, nicely balanced. OK so it didn't exactly match with the natto/kimchi/rice on the table (where was that bottle of shochu when I needed it), but it paired nicely with the Alsatian Muenster that ended the meal.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2004 Terredora DiPaulo Falanghina Irpinia DOC

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:49 am

Thats quite a food/wine matchup!! Would never thought of trying that. The cheese no problem but that is one tough wine to find up here.
Robin did a 30 second advisor on Falanghina last year I believe. Another off-beat varietal this forum is famous for noting!!
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 am

Lucio Mastroberardino was in town last month and I had a chance to taste with him through his family's lineup of Terredora di Paolo offerings.

The 2005 Falanghina is much as Al describes with the 2004, with an added note of fine minerality. For me, a big step up (and from $14 to $22 a bottle) is to the 2005 Greco di Tufo Loggia della Serra. Richer fruit, creamier texture, brighter acidity. A bit more exuberant all around. Another $2 will get you the 2005 Fiano, which is more floral, elegant and complex, with a drier profile.

All three have a place at the table, but perhaps not with kimchi!

By the way, among the reds, I recommend trying the 2000 Taurasi Fantica Contadina if you can find it.

-Michael
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:59 am

Bob: You are right, kimchi isn't exactly wine-friendly food. I usually stick with beer or soju/sochu, but figure there's no harm trying a different match once in a while.

Michael: I have seen the Greco di Tufo around (not sure which vintage), and will definitely look out for the others you mentioned. Thanks for the notes!

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:43 pm

kimchi isn't exactly wine-friendly food

I can sort of see a crisp refreshing white to go with kimchi, maybe, but what got me was the meal combination of kimchi natto and Meunster, sounds like quite a diverse range of textures and flavors.

Not that I have ever stomached much natto, but that might call out for Jura whites? Sharing funk, obscurity, relative lack of fans and all :)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:37 pm

Michael, about the TerreDora greco and fiano, do you think that these wines will age, and if so, for how long. I have had fiano that was 6 years old that (in the words of P-AIr( almost made me cry. Actually this 1999 vtg (not Terredora) drove me to check the distributor to see if there were any more 99 hiding in a dark corner. I have several bottles of the 2004 greco and the fiano, so I will hold a couple of each and see how they do.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi Bob,

I like Greco in its youth, but I've had a few from Mastroberardino and Feudi with about 6 years of age that have been really enjoyable--more mineral driven. That might be about as far as I would go.

I have very limited experience with the Fianos, but your experience bodes well!

Michael
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:58 am

alex metags wrote:Very pale yellow. Nose of citrus and green apple, with like notes on the palate. Medium bodied, nicely balanced. OK so it didn't exactly match with the natto/kimchi/rice on the table

I tried this very Falanghina a few months ago and got apples with a hint of almonds and lettuce (but not an offensive vegetal quality). Thus, I matched it with a salad topped with roasted chicken and almond slices. Delightful!