Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Walnut Harvest Begins!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Walnut Harvest Begins!

by TimMc » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:13 pm

Break out your cookie recipies, Guys...they're busily shakin' the walnuts again in my Neck o'the Woods.

Diamond is located in my town, but the locals sell them by the bag full. :D
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: Walnut Harvest Begins!

by TimMc » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:26 pm

What....no walnut lovers out there?

sheesh
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:31 pm

My wife's a big fan - she uses them for baking. For me, the walnut harvest happened around the middle of June when I got my green walnuts for making nocino. You quarter the green walnuts and soak them in vodka along with some spices, lemon zest, etc. out in the sun for about 3 months. Then sweeten, strain, bottle, and age until Christmas. Very nice stuff - my production has been ramping up exponentially over the last few years as my wife really likes to give it out as gifts.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:46 pm

Cool.

We take shelled walnuts, wash them off, toss in a bowl with a mix of sugar and cinnamon then place on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 30-45 minutes @ 250 degrees.

A delightful treat on a crisp winter's day :D
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:42 am

Sounds very yummy - I'll have to give that a try!

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

I checked ours yesterday

by Anders Källberg » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi Tim!
Here in Stockholm, Sweden, we are just on the northen limit for growing walnuts, but we do in fact have a tree in the garden of my work at the lab where I work at the university. Yesterday I took a look at the tree and the the outer green shell of the nuts is beginning to crack, which is the first sign that harvest is approaching. They still will need a few weeks before they are ready. We have had a warm September, and I hope the ripening will continue to go well. The nuts are smaller than the ones we buy from abroad, but they really have an exquisite taste.
Cheers, Anders
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: I checked ours yesterday

by TimMc » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:06 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Hi Tim!
Here in Stockholm, Sweden, we are just on the northen limit for growing walnuts, but we do in fact have a tree in the garden of my work at a lag at the university. Yesterday I took a look at the tree and the the outer green shell of the nuts is beginning to crack, which is the first sign that harvest is approaching. They still will need a few weeks before they are ready. We have had a warm September, and I hope the ripening will continue to go well. The nuts are smaller than the ones we buy from abroad, but they really have an exquisite taste.
Cheers, Anders

Well, I just learned something...I wasn't aware walnuts were grown that far to the North. Thanks, Anders :D

Around where I live the you can see/hear the walnut shakers all over the city and county as they rattle the trees.

[img]http://www.shakermaker.com/images/omcmain.jpg[/img]

The bad news is the air is full of dust, but this too shall pass.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: I checked ours yesterday

by Bob Henrick » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:53 pm

If I am not mistaken this is the way they harvest cherries in the cherry capital of the USA if not the world. Traverse City Michigan! (some pretty good wines made there too....some from cherries.)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:10 pm

You are so fortunate !!! I love cooking with walnuts - savory and sweet - pasta sauce, dipping sauce for vegetables, baked in a cheese souffle, walnut pie etc......I always hesitate because there is nothing worse than a less than fresh nut. A rancid nut will make me sick for days . So....I will have to wait until my English walnut and Carpathian walnut trees begin to bear and fantasize in the meantime.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:53 pm

Walnuts are indeed, one of the world's great nuts. Christina, what's a Carpathian walnut?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:56 pm

TimMc wrote:What....no walnut lovers out there?

I like them in Waldorf Salad with Cortland apples, but that's about it. Now, pecans ..... 8)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:42 pm

Carpathian english walnut - just a variety that is hardy in my zone - one which produces a year or two earlier than other varieties
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Walnut Harvest Began today!

by Anders Källberg » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi again!
In fact my walnut harvest began today. I noticed half an empty walnut shell lying on the ground and went to check the tree. There I found several empty green shells on the tree, so I realized that the birds are getting the nuts before me. Also the greeen shells have started to crack a little, which seems to be a sign of ripeness. So I picked some of them and indeed the green shells could quite easily be removed, which I also believe is a sign that they could be picked now. I have only harvested the nuts for three years, so my experience with it is limited and I'm learning by trial and error. Any further information is welcome.

Regarding the birds, last year I did in fact see a bird dropping a walnut from a considerable hight on the ground to crack it open. Amazing how they have been able to figure out this method, in particular since there are very few walnut trees in this part of the world.

Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: Walnut Harvest Began today!

by TimMc » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:30 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Regarding the birds, last year I did in fact see a bird dropping a walnut from a considerable hight on the ground to crack it open. Amazing how they have been able to figure out this method, in particular since there are very few walnut trees in this part of the world.

Cheers, Anders

The crows in my area are really quite deft at this procedure. In fact, since we live only a couple blocks away from several walnut orchards, I have observed with amazement how they will drop a walnut in front of a passing car apparently hoping the tire will crush the shell. No kidding.

Sometimes, however, it can be a bit noisy when the birds drop the walnuts on our home's roof. You will wake up to the sound of a bang....then roll, roll, roll. It can be really quite comical at times :D
Last edited by TimMc on Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:31 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:You are so fortunate !!! I love cooking with walnuts - savory and sweet - pasta sauce, dipping sauce for vegetables, baked in a cheese souffle, walnut pie etc......I always hesitate because there is nothing worse than a less than fresh nut. A rancid nut will make me sick for days . So....I will have to wait until my English walnut and Carpathian walnut trees begin to bear and fantasize in the meantime.

If you have a recipe for walnut pie, I will be forever in your debt :)
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:34 pm

The reason I ask this is on the Favorite Pie thread somebody mentioned a Maple Walnut pie.

I have got to try some of that. :D
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:24 pm

Tim, do you have a URL where one could order a bag of the walnuts?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:42 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Tim, do you have a URL where one could order a bag of the walnuts?

Actually, no.

I'm not in the walnut biz...just a lover of the delicacy :D
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:53 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Tim, do you have a URL where one could order a bag of the walnuts?

Bob - These wouldn't be from Tim's part of the state, but you could give them a try if you want.

Mount Lassen Farms

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:13 am

The California Walnut Board website is a great resource with some interesting recipes, history, lots more.

Thanks for starting this thread, Tim. We've been focusing on almonds for awhile, but Janet and I both like walnuts better. And it looks like they may be healthier than other nuts.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:45 pm

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:Bob - These wouldn't be from Tim's part of the state, but you could give them a try if you want.

Mount Lassen Farms
Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, As far as I could see, I woul d have to order 25lbs to get them, I would never in my short time left be able to use 25lbs of shelled walnuts. Maybe I willl get some black walnut meats this fall though. Have you ever had black walnut?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:29 pm

I finally found a recipe for honey walnut pie:

Honey-Walnut Pie

Servings: 8

Ingredients:
pastry for 9" one-crust pie, (see
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups walnut pieces

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pastry. Beat remaining ingredients except walnuts with hand beater in medium bowl. Stir in walnuts. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate. Cover edge with 2" strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking. Bake 45-55 minutes or until set. Refrigerate at least 2 hours until chilled. Immediately refrigerate any remaining pie.

I'll let you how it went....
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:06 am

Thanks for the recipe, Tim. I might cut back on the sugars a bit when I try it, but this looks like a very good alternative to our favorite pecan pie.

The Walnut Board seems to have some good data supporting the superior health benefits of walnuts over other nuts.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:52 pm

I understand about the sugars....I need to cut back in that area myself.

But it seems like an interesting recipe to try relative to pecan pie.

So...we will see how it goes.