The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN+ Q: 2004 Don Rudolfo Nero d'Avola Sicilia IGT

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN+ Q: 2004 Don Rudolfo Nero d'Avola Sicilia IGT

by Saina » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:36 pm

I can't seem to find much info via google on this wine. The lable indicates that this is a production of Peter Vinding-Diers, AMKA (importer active in the cold dreary north) and Angelo Rocca & Figli. I was warned by Robin Garr that Nero d'Avolas are often spoofulated. This was, but was not the blueberry milkshake that some apparently are! This was in fact very pleasant. Though it had some spoofy elements, it did have acidity and a general savouryness despite the sweet fruit. The only problem is the price. I honestly liked this wine - but it still tastes like something that should cost 12€ not 28€!! So, as I am a total novice when it comes to this grape and since this seems to have some elements that I truly like, who makes an utterly unspoofulated Nero d'Avola?

• 2004 Don Rudolfo Nero d'Avola Sicilia IGT - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia IGT (9/29/2006)
    27,80€ 13% abv. Dark red, some purple. The 7 months aging in barrique is noticable, but gladly doesn't kill all other scents: it is a little earthy, herbal and tangy in the way that the idea of "Italy" would suggest. There is some sweet red berry scents somewhat reminiscent of the little bit less inelegant Zinfandels. The palate is juicy and red toned, a little tannic (which I don't mind at all) and has very fine acidity! Apart from the lovely acidity, this is spoofulated, but still fine. I rather like it, but I think I would have preferred it barriqueless.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN+ Q: 2004 Don Rudolfo Nero d'Avola Sicilia IGT

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:01 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:since this seems to have some elements that I truly like, who makes an utterly unspoofulated Nero d'Avola?

Otto, it's not common. Bear in mind that Nero d'Avola is a fruit-forward variety, made in a relatively warm environment, and in a wine region that has only been "discovered" in modern times, hence pathetically willing to play the international-style game to get export attention.

But that said, I did have this one at dinner with John Given in May, and he brought it along specifically to amuse me, knowing that it's much more "old world" than <i>most</i> Nero d'Avolas:

<b>Cantine Fina 2004 Sicilia Nero d'Avola</b>
I sneered when John put this Nero d'Avola on the table, anticipating a "Parkerized" Shiraz-style fruit bomb as is so sadly typical from Sicily's Nero d'Avola producers nowadays. Given just smiled and let me taste. Well, I'll be dagnabbed. Plums and cherries and a touch of anise, discreet clay-like minerality on a firm acidic structure.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: WTN+ Q: 2004 Don Rudolfo Nero d'Avola Sicilia IGT

by Thomas » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:18 pm

Robin,

I had a Villa Tontino 2002 Nero D'Avola last night that tasted similar to what you just described, with a touch of what i might think volcanic soil would taste like--a kind of sooty/gritty finish that I liked.
Thomas P