Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fantastic Restaurant - Treo in Canmore, Alberta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Fantastic Restaurant - Treo in Canmore, Alberta

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:27 pm

Hey, just got back from two weeks in the Canadian Rockies, and I have to mention a relatively new restaurant in Canmore (just outside the gates of Banff park) called Treo. What a great place. I looked at the menu and wanted to order literally everything.

They have a great pricing strategy. There are $7 and $11 appetizer size plates, and $15 small mains as well as full mains that are variably priced around $25. The beauty of the small mains is that they cut back on the veggies and potato rather than give a skimpy meat/fish portion.

Laura and I tried 5 dishes, including a Caesar salad that was way beyond any I have had before (the smoked bacon and spiced nuts really helped...), baked garlic with gorgonzola cheese, a pork tenderloin with (again) smoked bacon and a blackberry preserve, braised lamb shank that was drop dead delicious and tender, and finally the Chocolate TREO which had some of the most sublime mocha truffles I have ever tasted, along with delicious pot-au-chocolat and chocolate pecan madeleines.

We could have tried twenty other things. We wanted to get back again, but it never worked out. I was sad to miss the goat cheese fondue, duck tacos, hoi sin duck (with confit wontons) and baked blue cheesecake.

If you get the chance by all means try this place. It's in Canmore, Alberta on Cougar Creek Drive.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Fantastic Restaurant - Treo in Canmore, Alberta

by Hoke » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:10 pm

Thanks, David.

Haven't been to TREO yet, but I'll try to get there when next transiting up to Jasper Park in November.

Beautiful area, innit?

And Canmore is turning into quite the gourmet experience these days, huh I've been to the offshoot of Muriel's that is there. Also a good restaurant. The Chef did Elk for us that was wonderful---again with a berry sauce, too.

Look out for the gooseberries when you're in Alberta. They have a particular kind of golden-yellow gooseberry there that is great eating, and works well with their foods. Not bad with Sauvignon Blanc either. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:13 pm

Indeed, Canmore is exploding. Another good thing about Treo is that they have a corkage policy. I think it's $15.

Is Murietta's the offshoot you are talking about? If so, I had good food there, but the service was lousy at best. It's also unbearably loud and they then add live "music" to make it deafening. The servers cannot hear or be heard, leading to some real problems that they then try to cover up as the customer's fault.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:53 pm

Yes, Thanks. It was Murietta's I meant.

When I was there, my group was in the upper room, which was considerably more quiet and suited to dining. And as the event was a group event and we had dedicated waiters, I can't comment on the service in the regular rooms.

But it seems from your comments that all is not as it should be there. I'll pass the comments along to some apropriate people.