The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Decanting Robert Parker" - The Times's Asimov on

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

"Decanting Robert Parker" - The Times's Asimov on

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:18 am

The New York Times's Eric Asimov weighs in today with a long essay about Robert M. Parker Jr. and his responses to recent criticism and life-changing events as he approaches what in many business settings would be retirement age.

The Pour
Decanting Robert Parker

By ERIC ASIMOV
Published: March 22, 2006

PARKTON, Md.

IT has been a difficult couple of years for Robert M. Parker Jr., the wine writer who has famously been labeled the most influential critic of any kind in the world. Though Mr. Parker has gotten used to living with a big fat target painted on his back, the most recent series of attacks was especially galling to him.

A debate over the 2003 vintage of Château Pavie in St. Émilion got personal in 2004, with Mr. Parker, who lives in this rural Maryland town about 25 miles north of Baltimore, pitted against some of Britain's leading wine writers. Mr. Parker praised the wine as "a brilliant effort," but Jancis Robinson called it a "ridiculous wine," and Clive Coates wrote, "Anyone who thinks this is good wine needs a brain and palate transplant!"

Full story in The New York Times
(Free registration required. Happily, though, I was wrong about this being a premium New York Times Select story.)
Last edited by Robin Garr on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

An interesting snippet

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:28 am

Well down in the story, a plug for one of our buddies ...

It has raised the question of whether Mr. Parker's influence has diminished. In areas he no long writes about, Web-based competitors like http://burghound.com, have seized some of the territory. But in Bordeaux, which in many ways is the wine region most influenced by critics and where the most money is at stake, Mr. Parker remains largely unchallenged.
no avatar
User

David Nelson

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:32 pm

St. Louis, MO

Pre-thread Message

by David Nelson » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:38 pm

Hi Robin. :)

Asimov had some additional thoughts on the interview that he posted in his blog entry for today. Worth a read: The Pour

Cheers,

Dave
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Pre-thread Message

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks, David. Nice follow-up! I admire Eric's ability to come down squarely on both sides of the fence, too. ;-)
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Pre-thread Message

by wrcstl » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:22 pm

I just read the article and found it interesting. Have always supported RP and what he has done to elevate wine as a beverage, some good and some bad but in the aggregate possitive. It is not his fault that the world is full of lemmings that can't decide for themselves what a good wine tastes like. I do think that some of his critics from merry old England are sour grapes but am sure he has not done much to make friends with them. My problem, and actually it is not a problem, is that the wines he likes and the wines I like are totally different. The good news is that he seldom drives the prices up of my favorite stuff. I do have to take issue with his comment about not promoting high alcohol, big fruit wines. He may not drink them but he sure rates them high. When was the last time he gave a big score to a subtle low alcohol wine from the Loire.
Walt