The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus: Italian whites in July!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: Wine Focus: Italian whites in July!

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Oliver, I have found this white downtown. What you think?

2006 Calatrasi Terre Dignestra

Thanks Bob

Sorry, no idea. I found a wine online called Terra di Ginestra, but maybe that's different; it was a Nero d'Avola, which doesn't fit the theme.

The tradition in Italy is to drink most white wines fresh, so I wouldn't suggest taking a flyer on a '96, but again I don't know the wine.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Robert Helms

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 pm

by Robert Helms » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 am

Bob,

Check the following link to my friend Jamie Goode's site: http://www.wineanorak.com/calatrasi.htm.

Regards,

Robert
Regards,

Robert Helms
Savannah
no avatar
User

Don Appleton

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:13 am

Bethlehem PA

by Don Appleton » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:22 am

Picked up a few bottles of a quite distinctive Compania wine - 2008 Clelia Romano Fiano di Avellino Colli di Lapio DOCG. Wow, what a pleasure to drink this wine : straw yellow color, nose of peach bordering on tropical fruit with white floral notes, full body on the palate with minerality, medium+ acidity and complex fruit notes similar to nose. This is an excellent wine from what I understand to be a highly regarded producer.
Anybody else familiar with this wine? Not sure if they produce Greco and/or Falangina.
no avatar
User

Christian Vendramin

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:20 am

by Christian Vendramin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:55 am

Don Appleton wrote:Picked up a few bottles of a quite distinctive Compania wine - 2008 Clelia Romano Fiano di Avellino Colli di Lapio DOCG. Wow, what a pleasure to drink this wine : straw yellow color, nose of peach bordering on tropical fruit with white floral notes, full body on the palate with minerality, medium+ acidity and complex fruit notes similar to nose. This is an excellent wine from what I understand to be a highly regarded producer.
Anybody else familiar with this wine? Not sure if they produce Greco and/or Falangina.

It is "white wine of the year" for Gambero Rosso guide 2010.
Yes, good. But I found a too ripe tropical fruit. Very very full body and not a great acidity to make it balanced.

No, Fiano is the only white wine.
Sorry, I'm italian...
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 am

TERRE DI GIUMARA GRECANICO 2009
IGT Sicilia
CARUSO & MININI

100 per cent Grecanico, a grape which I had not encountered before.

Rich yellow in the glass.
Tangerine and peach on the nose.
Medium weight, viscous, juicy, spicy, orange, clementines, tangerine, floral, citrus rind, tangy acidity, crisp, clean and delicious.
Tangy, mouthwatering finish, with citrus rind.
Purchased at $11.95 (Canadian) and an amazing value.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2007 Ca' Rugate Soave Classico Monte Fiorentine

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Very dry, yet also quite fruity, resembling a dry Riesling more than a little bit in its palate expression. Slightly chalky, with a long citrus finish. Tasty, and good value at around $17.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Don Appleton

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:13 am

Bethlehem PA

by Don Appleton » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:21 am

2008 Cantina del Castello Soave Classico Monte Pressoni
DOC Soave Classico
80% Garganego, 20% Trebbiano di Soave

Served with baked cod and simple summer salad, this is a delightful wine with rich creamy flavors well balanced by mineral acidity with pleasing almondy finish. I much prefer to spend a few extra bucks for the specific vineyard Soave Classicos such as this one or the Pieropan Calvarino.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:02 am

2008 Masciarelli, Trebbiano d' Abruzzo. This has not only been our go to Italian White for decades, but also our everyday white period. We have posted on it before, and this vintage is as good or better than previous ones.

We matched it with Haddock a la Creme, rice, and green beans fresh from the garden. We used a fourth cup of the wine to deglaze the saute' pan. Wonderful dinner.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:47 am

Now that we're at the end of the month I have something to add. A delightful bottle of 2008 Paolo Bea IGT Umbria Santa Chiara. I opened it for some friends who had never heard of 'orange wine' (ok, I assume one can post about orange wines in a white wine focus) and they were immediately convinced. Luscious deep flavors with all the tactile orange grip and lovely herbal spice notes. A perfect example of itself.

Technically speaking, I suppose I could also add this from earlier in the month, but I posted it in the regular forum as well:

2007 Ca de Noci Bianco Querciole
We all know the deal. Yeasty and beery but delicious and different (at least to those of us who don't drink this stuff all the time). Fun. Seemed to need air to stretch out so I guess it is only beginning?
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 pm

2002 Jermann Vintage Tunina from Fruli.

Opened at an off-line (7/27/10) while on vacation last week (with some very nice white and red burgs). Softer and not as vibrant as the bottle I loved last year, but more elegant and possibly even more enjoyable. As I didn't take detailed notes, I'll recycle the note from last year:

2/3/2009 rated 93 points: I know it is early in the year, but I would be very shocked if this did not end up one of my top wines for the year. A blend of mostly Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Ribolla, it is a canonical example of the total being more than a sum of its parts. A clear, brilliant straw yellow. Nose explosive with honey, yellow fruits and flowers. The attack is brisk, but the mouthfeel is full and rounded featuring peaches, pears, apricot and a swipe of minerality. The intense flavors bounce among the varietal characteristics keeping one's interest throughout the whole bottle. No palate fatigue here.
Je ne peux pas le faire
Previous