The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 95 Allegrini Amarone, take two

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 95 Allegrini Amarone, take two

by Jenise » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Still thinking about that disappointing bottle we opened last week, the one that was light in color and cloudy, with dilute flavors though a good mature nose, I opened another bottle to pair with pan-fried Italian sausage patties and pasta in garlic-tomato sauce.

This one's the real deal.

The objecive, correct tasting note I wrote this morning: Deep, youthful red/black color and clarity, intense and full-bodied with cherry, spice, raisins, a little earth, and a pleasantly bitter, dark chocolate finish. Drinks well now but will continue to improve in the bottle--no hurry.

The unobjective, emotional tasting note I wrote last night: dear god this is good. Why haven't I been buying more Amarone for our cellar? This is absolutely luscious. I want more. NOW. What about that Garagiste email I got this morning for 1981 Amarone? Holy moly that must be good. $140 sounded ridiculous this morning in broad daylight, but hey the moon is shining on the bay and I'm feeling FIIIIIIIIIINE and as soon as Bob goes to bed I'll sneak online and order two.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTN: 95 Allegrini Amarone, take two

by OW Holmes » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm

I like the emotional night-time version. Actually, I like them both, but love the emotional reaction.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:26 pm

Oliver,

Yeah, me too. The problem with objective tasting notes is that they just don't capture the joy factor. Some wines just push all the right buttons, and this did.

Oh--and, I should be shot, but I did order the Bertrani (the '81s mentioned). Maybe I should give them to Bob for Christmas....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Reading your note, I knew a purchase was about to be made. And the Christmas gift is a good idea. I'm fairly confident you'll get as big a pour that way as if you kept them for yourself.
-OW