Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: What's cooking?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:30 pm

We had mostly farmers' market stuff tonight. A salad of watermelon, feta, and arugula with a balsamic reduction. Local heirlooms (the little stripey green ones) in a caprese with burrata. Purple snap beans blanched with a lemon vinaigrette. And roasted chicken breasts.

All yummy!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:31 pm

A couple of beautifully ripe ox heart (Italian heirloom) tomatoes were ready to eat, so we wanted BLTs for lunch, but we were out of rye bread. Would a BLT taste good on a toasted English muffin? Only one way to find out! I thought it worked splendidly - a thick tomato slice was just the right size to fit ... and I love English muffins. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:04 pm

We do them on English Muffins all the time, great choice. And you get all those strips of bacon overhanging the edges to nibble off first. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Jenise wrote:you get all those strips of bacon overhanging the edges to nibble off first. :)

Egg-zackly! :D

We do portion out the bacon abstemiously, so we can keep the calorie count reasonable and still enjoy BLTs often in season ... but happily a little bacon flavor goes a long way. :)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:.. and I love English muffins. :)

NJ just made a big batch of sourdough English muffins... I ♥ English muffins also.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:.. and I love English muffins. :)

NJ just made a big batch of sourdough English muffins... I ♥ English muffins also.

MMMMM!! We'll be right over.

Actually, I would love to make the English muffin recipe in Reinhart's new bread book. Might have to try that as soon as the weather cools back down a little.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Here ya go Robin-
SSCN0748.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Redwinger wrote:Here ya go Robin-

Mmmmm! Do they have crooks and nannies?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Wow, Winger, those are the real deal! Lucky you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Redwinger wrote:Here ya go Robin-

Mmmmm! Do they have crooks and nannies?

Dunno-
They are still cooling and I haven't sliced any yet. I asked NJ if they had "crooks and nannies" and she just gave me that look. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Redwinger wrote:I haven't sliced any yet.

Agggh!! No slicing! Poke a fork halfway through, working around in a circle until you can pull 'em apart. Slicing is inimical to the noon'n'cranny effect.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Redwinger wrote:I haven't sliced any yet.

Agggh!! No slicing! Poke a fork halfway through, working around in a circle until you can pull 'em apart. Slicing is inimical to the noon'n'cranny effect.

NJ just reminded me of that. Are you sure you're not identical twins separated at birth? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:32 am

Went to the Dorks of York tasting last night so made a healthy tomato/cucumber salad for us to fill up on before we went and a salmon rillettes to take along.

Tonight I'm doing something with chicken. Found Rosie organic/free range chickens yesterday for $1.48/lb!! Don't have an exact plan in mind, though.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:47 pm

We had dinner at lunchtime yesterday, an outstanding Mesopotamian repast at a new Iraqi place in town, Dejlah Bistro.

Semka appetizer, a smoky, delicious roast red pepper and tomato puree with pita triangles.

Chicken Top-Kapi, listed as a "chef signature" special, half of a boned chicken served over a mix of rice, ground lamb and raisins.

Kuzee, an oven-roasted spiced lamb shank with a side of something that looks like rice topped with angel hair.

Fried cauliflower, tasty but not particularly photogenic.

Zonood, an amazing Iraqi dessert, cream wrapped in phyllo.

Last night we were almost too full to eat at all, but changed our mind when we say the growing pile of ripe, juicy Oxheart tomatoes, and made mini-capreses.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:51 pm

With the recent posts about crab cakes and Jenise's coconut crab picture, I made and cooked Chef Bryan Voltaggio's Maryland crab cakes this past weekend and had them with a nice St. Supéry Sauvignon Blanc, '08, I think. The recipe did call for three minced spring onions which I thought might be too much but it was fine. Another item was 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic. With a pound of crab meat, I don't really know what 1/4 tsp of garlic is going to do. On the other hand, the recipe called for one full tsp of salt! Too much. I'm wondering if the publisher got the two mixed up.
Anyway, they were good and really good the next day, heated up on the Webber grill.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Last night we were almost too full to eat at all, but changed our mind when we say the growing pile of ripe, juicy Oxheart tomatoes, and made mini-capreses.

You're killing me. Still not harvesting here.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:11 pm

You're killing me. Still not harvesting here.

Jenise, is anyone harvesting tomatoes there? I know Lindy Stradley tells me the tomato harvest season is much later than ours and very short, but this in Sept. 1st already. Are they late this year?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Yes, Karen, this has been a particularly slow summer. Finally got warm about three weeks ago, but yesterday it didn't get any warmer than 55. Today it will be back up to 70 but that's not going to last long enough to do much, I'm afraid.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Roast pork lo mein for dinner here.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Decided on my menu, perfect for a sunny day in early Fall:

Fresh radishes with cold butter
Salad of tatsoi and endive with roasted plums, tarragon vinaigrette
Chicken breasts braised with apples and sage, served with my Crispy Prairie Rice
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Casual dining for us today, but in a good way. :) Mary made some leftover free-range hen into an outstanding chicken salad with fresh celery and onions, pecans, a little mayo and a zap of Madras curry powder, which I guess should really have its name changed to Chennai curry powder now. ;)

Then she went out to lunch with a pal and brought me home an excellent gyros, by which time I had already found the chicken salad and chowed down, d'oh!

So we quickly deconstructed the gyros so it would keep, and tonight we'll put it back together for dinner with a salad. :D

Got a really wacky Australian Riesling to try with it, too, for Wine Focus and Friday's Wine Advisor.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Chinese Long Beans are on my menu often. These seemed to take forever to start from a dried bean, but up they came and are giving me a handful everyday. Given the length, a handful is perfect for the two of us. They are very tasty and fun to watch grow. One picture shows them getting into my sweet basil.
Pickedlongs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Casual dining for us today, but in a good way. :) Mary made some leftover free-range hen into an outstanding chicken salad with fresh celery and onions, pecans, a little mayo and a zap of Madras curry powder, which I guess should really have its name changed to Chennai curry powder now. ;)

Not when the best biryani spice mix out there is still called "Bombay biryani". :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 am

Well, in my produce bin are some beautiful red and orange bell peppers, so I pulled those. A big red onion in the pantry wants work, an avocado has ripened, and garlic from the Farmer's Market has dried and is ready to use. I think I will sauté the peppers, onion and garlic to a buttery, fragrant softness, then combine with grilled, sliced chicken breasts which will be marinated all day in a south-west marinade. All this will fill some warmed flour tortillas. The avocado will go into a guacamole for us to dip our filled tortilla into. We always have some sort of salad with dinner and I see a bunch of radishes that have grown to the perfect size in my garden that need pulling, so maybe they will inspire me.
PreviousNext