The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I'm ruined!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

I'm ruined!

by RonicaJM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:34 am

The wine merchant warned me as he recommended a bottle of Opolo 2003 Viognier. He said, "This will ruin you for other Viogniers."

He wasn't kidding! I won't bore you w/ my WTNs, but it was soooooo good. I wasn't expecting it. Full-bodied, bursting w/ aromas and flavors of apricot and flowers as well as hints of vanilla.

He has one left, but at $25 a bottle I don't know if I can do it. (He sold me the first bottle 1/2 price b/c I bought half a case.) How can I go back to my $8 Viognier? :roll: It's so sad.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: I'm ruined!

by AlexR » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:46 am

Yes, and the name of the Viognier?

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:01 pm

Opolo 2003.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:02 pm

Alex, she said Opolo. That's a winery in the Paso Robles region of California where they grow mostly Rhone varietals--hot climate, hot year. I just spent a couple days in there with friends, and I vouch for the fact that there 14.5 abv's low, and 16-16.5 isn't that unusual.

Ronica--ha ha ha ha ha. We told you this would happen! You'd find a wine that really talks to you, and you'd be off to the races. Funny how once you fall in love, the price becomes a little less important. Which was the $8 viognier that you liked?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:07 pm

I like the Cline Viognier (which I can find from $8-$10) and McManis, too.

This is so interesting to me, b/c I'm a big red wine lover (cabs from Cali). Never been too interested in whites.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:07 pm

I'm new to Viognier, too-and my first was a Trefethan Oak Knoll Vognier. $30. :oops: Trying a $8.00 one at the grocery store's tasting last night-it just didn't do it. :lol:

(Although, they had a everything but the kitvhen sink Barbera-dominated "SuperTuscan" (SuperLodi, to be honest) that was amazingly tasty and ba;anced! .
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Hi Ronica! I am also new to drinking Viogniers and will make a point of trying your "new found love" simply because of your passionate reaction...lol! Love it! :cool:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Yes, congratulations, moments of breakthrough are exciting even if expensive.. I suppose he told you about the next tier of viognier prices you can break with Condrieu, but, maybe you want to wait a bit :)
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:33 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Yes, congratulations, moments of breakthrough are exciting even if expensive.. I suppose he told you about the next tier of viognier prices you can break with Condrieu, but, maybe you want to wait a bit :)

Monetarily speaking, I can only handle one breakthrough a month, but I have been wanting to try Condrieu. Have any recommendations? As long as we're speaking French, what do you think of Vouvray?
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:37 pm

Deborah Ackerman wrote:Hi Ronica! I am also new to drinking Viogniers and will make a point of trying your "new found love" simply because of your passionate reaction...lol! Love it! :cool:

Deborah,

I tend to like bold and flavorful wines. That's why I'm having an adjustment curve to the subtle French reds I've been trying. So, take that into consideration b/f you go for the Opolo. If you find it I hope you like it. :D
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:31 pm

RonicaJM wrote:Deborah,

I tend to like bold and flavorful wines. That's why I'm having an adjustment curve to the subtle French reds I've been trying. So, take that into consideration b/f you go for the Opolo. If you find it I hope you like it. :D

Thanks for the preference info, Ronica. I do tend to prefer a more medium-bodied wine as I am not fond of the normally higher alcohol content of a full-bodied wine, but I do enjoy intense flavor! Whether I love the Opolo like you or not, I look forward to the experience of trying it; that's part of the fun of discovering new wines! The trick is to find it now! :cool:
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:56 pm

Monetarily speaking, I can only handle one breakthrough a month, but I have been wanting to try Condrieu. Have any recommendations?

If you do try Condrieu the Opolo will probably go out the window. Yves Cuilleron Les Chaillets Condrieu is a good place to start, or to end for that matter. It should be available in the neighborhood of $30.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:42 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Yes, congratulations, moments of breakthrough are exciting even if expensive.. I suppose he told you about the next tier of viognier prices you can break with Condrieu, but, maybe you want to wait a bit :)

Very good, Mr R !!!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:23 pm

Haven't had one in a few years, but the GDB VDP used to be damn good for around $10.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:02 pm

what do you think of Vouvray?

Along with riesling in my opinion it represents the pinnacle of white wine. And much better value than Condrieu. If you do searches you should find lots of notes on the better producers.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:16 am

I'm with Rahsaan on this one: chenin blanc (Vouvray wines) outclass Condrieu and viognier wines to my palate. I enjoy a nice viognier, but even with Condrieu wines, you have to spend fairly big bucks and try numerous wines before you hit a winner. That's been my experience, anyway.

Buy anything from Domaine Huet in Vouvray and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only problem, viognier is meant to drink soon, but chenin takes 7-10 years to really shine. That's not to say it isn't yummy as a young wine, but it shows much greater complexity with age.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Baumard makes lovely Chenin Blancs (Saviennieres), and the low end bottling is less than $20, if you can find it. For a bit more their Clos de Papillon can be stunning.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:38 pm

James Dietz wrote:Baumard makes lovely Chenin Blancs (Saviennieres), and the low end bottling is less than $20, if you can find it. For a bit more their Clos de Papillon can be stunning.

James, I have a few bottles of the 1996 of this wine (the regular bottle), do you suppose it is time to open one?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Bob, I would think it would be time.. the Clos de Papillon is an ager.. had the '96 of that last year and it was superb. I'd be interested to know if the regular bottling has aged as well.

I had a 96 Pichon about 6 months ago, and this is not a high-end bottling. It too was very very good. Had developed those pineapple and other tropical fruit flavors that older Chenins seem to show.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:37 am

Ruined? We need to keep you away from Yves Cuilleron's Condrieu, or we'll have to write an obituary. :)
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:40 am

Thanks for the comeback James, I will break open a bottle of the 96 soon. I am a little bit confused by your reference to Pichon. Is this the Pichon's of Bordeaux, or is this a Loire branch of the same name? Or is it an altogether different Pichon? Enquiring mind's and all that.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:58 am

Bernard Roth wrote:Ruined? We need to keep you away from Yves Cuilleron's Condrieu, or we'll have to write an obituary. :)

:lol: Too funny. I'll take my chances!
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:09 am

Speaking of vouvray, the '05 Champalou is pretty yummy chenin at around $14.

Pichon, hmm...I know of Jo Pithon and Francois Pinon in Loire, but not sure about Pichon, Bob.

And if we are talking Savennières, you should give Dom. du Closel Savennières and Clos du Papillon a try. Damned good stuff.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:17 am

RonicaJM wrote:How can I go back to my $8 Viognier? :roll: It's so sad.

Hey, I have a $8 Viognier that I love, from Domaine Astruc in Languedoc. Thing is, the reason I like it, besides the price, is that it doesn't smell like Carmen Miranda's hat! Most Washington viognier I've tried has a nose of all tropical fruit and alcohol, and I've gotten very tired of that.

Dave
Next