The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for September: Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Wine Focus for September: Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Andrew - where in MA do you shop?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:32 am

So here we go forumites, my tasting notes on the hot item coming out of Clare Valley and Mr. Grosset!

WTN: `05 Grosset Watervale Riesling, Mount Lofty Ranges South Australia.

13% alc, SC, $24 Cdn (discount), opened one hour and served quite chilled. Very well known riesling, rated high by those-in-the-know.

Color. Light lemon yellow, some might think deep straw maybe?

Nose. Very aromatic, no gasolein, some lime, quite floral, very appealing for sure with more mineral tones on day 2.

Palate. Initial entry thought was very dry, almost bracing, no tropical fruit salad here folks, long minerally finish. Starts to strut its stuff after 30 mins in the glass, reminds me of an Alsacian-style from Schleret. "Slate, no spice or pepper" from across the table. I find lemon and unripe BC pear here, needed some food to match the acidity level. Quite austere, even on second day but very much the classic wine I had expected.

**** anyone care to speculate how this might cellar?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

WTN: '07 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 am

2007 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
This is lip smacking goodness. It's not the most profoundly complex expression of Riesling, but it is showing fine acid balance, especially for the (in my opinion) somewhat heavy 2007s, and the bright, citric fruit shows as only barely sweet. It's a great food wine that is also great to sip on its own. Drink soon for the pretty fruit and fine balance - it's too lovely to miss out.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I didn't take notes but an August Kesseler Estate Riesling 2007 went astonishingly well with a Thai dinner last night. I also tried to pair the food with several beers but the wine beat them all hand down.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Jay Labrador wrote:I didn't take notes but an August Kesseler Estate Riesling 2007 went astonishingly well with a Thai dinner last night. I also tried to pair the food with several beers but the wine beat them all hand down.

Which beers?
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 pm

We had Singha, Hoegaarden, Rogue John John Juniper Ale, Rogue Brutal Bitter IPA, and Rogue Mom's Hefeweizen.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:42 am

WTN: `79 Jos. Christoffel Jr. Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese, M-S-R.

What a great gift last Xmas from the girls at the Grill. Letting them try some of the wines from the cellar pays off! This Mosel is still available for $70 Cdn I think, nineteen bottles left I am told.

Pulling the cork was easy, still looked new and in great condition. 7.5% alc, A.P. Nr 2 602 144 4 80.
I let wine breathe for an hour and served nicely chilled. As the wine came from DeVines, I allowed the staff there to try a small glass, they were duely impressed when I served blind!

Color was a medium gold. On the nose, some lemon/citrus and white stonefruit. All thought the gasolein enhanced the wine and added to the character. The lovely aromatics did decline somewhat by late evening.
Initial entry thoughts were this is top notch! The terrific acidity balances the sweetness, honeysuckle on a long finish. "Great with Szechuan food" was a comment, "tropical fruit salad" another. Ripe apple and pear to my mind, not at all cloying. Very impressive indeed and one of the best German wines I have ever tasted.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:41 pm

2002 Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Spatlese Riesling A.P. # 3 586 014-14-03. Imported by Valckenberg. Purchased at Macarthur Beverages, DC? 7.5% alcohol.
Some petrol but in a pleasing sense. Tastes sweet but not cloying. Some lime notes and subtle spice over slate and rocks. Nice pairing with goat cheese and crackers and with baked fish.

Last night I opened a 2002 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Spatlese which was spritzig upon pouring. IMO it was not as pleasurable as the Grunhauser but I will finish it up over the next couple days.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:48 pm

I have not been thrilled with the 2002 Haag wines.
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

Re: WTN: '07 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett

by Andrew Burge » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2007 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
This is lip smacking goodness. It's not the most profoundly complex expression of Riesling, but it is showing fine acid balance, especially for the (in my opinion) somewhat heavy 2007s, and the bright, citric fruit shows as only barely sweet. It's a great food wine that is also great to sip on its own. Drink soon for the pretty fruit and fine balance - it's too lovely to miss out.

This is one of my favourite tipples for similar reasons - its not especially complex, but it is lovely. Full of joy.

While September is now over, I must report I have managed to secure some 1979 Leo Buring DWI16 Eden Valley Riesling - one of the all time Australian Classics. Perfectly cellared since release. Salivating to try it again.

cheers
Andrew
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:05 pm

It's not over here...yet.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Andrew - where in MA do you shop?

David - I mostly go to Marty's in Newton, Vintages and the Spirited Gourmet in Belmont, and Lower Falls Wine in Newton. Sometimes I go to Gordon's, Brookline Liquor Mart, The Wine Bottega, and the Wine and Cheese Cask, plus Table & Vine if I am in the area. Most of my German purchases probably come from Marty's.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:51 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `79 Jos. Christoffel Jr. Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese, M-S-R.

What a great gift last Xmas from the girls at the Grill. Letting them try some of the wines from the cellar pays off! This Mosel is still available for $70 Cdn I think, nineteen bottles left I am told.

Pulling the cork was easy, still looked new and in great condition. 7.5% alc, A.P. Nr 2 602 144 4 80.
I let wine breathe for an hour and served nicely chilled. As the wine came from DeVines, I allowed the staff there to try a small glass, they were duely impressed when I served blind!

Color was a medium gold. On the nose, some lemon/citrus and white stonefruit. All thought the gasolein enhanced the wine and added to the character. The lovely aromatics did decline somewhat by late evening.
Initial entry thoughts were this is top notch! The terrific acidity balances the sweetness, honeysuckle on a long finish. "Great with Szechuan food" was a comment, "tropical fruit salad" another. Ripe apple and pear to my mind, not at all cloying. Very impressive indeed and one of the best German wines I have ever tasted.

Nice TN, Bob. That's what mature German Riesling, particularly Mosel, is all about. It would be a pity if this style were to decline as all the best grapes go into the GGs, etc.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: WTN: '07 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 am

Andrew Burge wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:2007 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett

This is one of my favourite tipples for similar reasons - its not especially complex, but it is lovely. Full of joy.

While September is now over, I must report I have managed to secure some 1979 Leo Buring DWI16 Eden Valley Riesling - one of the all time Australian Classics. Perfectly cellared since release. Salivating to try it again.

cheers
Andrew

Go for it, waiting for your TN! Only entry-level here and on allocation too.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

GREAT month, guys! I'm "un-pinning" the thread now that October is here, but don't hesitate at all to wrap up threads or post notes past the deadline.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:51 am

Tim York wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `79 Jos. Christoffel Jr. Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese, M-S-R.

Nice TN, Bob. That's what mature German Riesling, particularly Mosel, is all about. It would be a pity if this style were to decline as all the best grapes go into the GGs, etc.

That is an interesting thought Tim. There are some other more recent vintages in the store from Christoffel so might have to visit when in-house PO is out of town next week. I also saw some 2007 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslesen.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:33 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: There are some other more recent vintages in the store from Christoffel so might have to visit when in-house PO is out of town next week. I also saw some 2007 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslesen.

I seem to remember hearing around the turn of the century that the Chrisoffel estate was changing hands and there was then concern about the new owners. Perhaps one of the experts (David, Salil) can give a view on current performance?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:56 am

Tim: The Christoffel that Bob posted about hasn't changed hands as far as I know - that's still handled by Karl-Josef Christoffel. I haven't tried much from them (don't see them often in the US), but the few wines I've had were very good.

Another Christoffel - Joh. Jos. Christoffel (JJ) did change hands around 2001. It's now leased to Robert Eymael from Monchhof. 02 and '03 weren't my favourite years at JJ Christoffel, but in the last few years they've again been very consistent and impressive. Their Erdener Treppchen Spatlese has been a regular buy for me in the past few vintages, and I thought their overall collection in '08 was really good (particularly the Wurzgarten one-star Auslese and Treppchen Spatlese and two-star Auslese).
Previous