Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
no avatar
User

Tammy G K

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:34 am

Eilat - non hotel restaurant suggestion

by Tammy G K » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:00 am

Would anyone have recommendations for decent (quality, not quantity) restaurants in Eilat that are not located in a hotel?
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Re: Eilat - non hotel restaurant suggestion

by Mike_F » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 am

I would not expect anything outstanding from the culinary scene in Eilat, but have had decent meals at the Giraffe branch on the North beach, and at The Last Refuge near Coral Beach. Have also heard good things about Eddie's Hideaway, but not been there myself. Reviews and contact info' for all three, as well as a few others, can be found at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants- ... Eilat.html
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Eilat - non hotel restaurant suggestion

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 am

Eilat sits directly on the Red Sea but from the culinary viewpoint, for reasons that I have never been able to understand, it might as well be located in the center of the Gobi Desert. In other words, to a large extent, Eilat has been a culinary wasteland.

Mike's suggestion for Giraffe is a good one but keep in mind that this is precisely the same Giraffe as you will find in Tel Aviv and other branches. Certainly nothing here that reminds one of the Mediterranean or the Red Sea.

The Last Refuge is always sort of fun. Nothing at all complex about the fish and seafood offerings but generally tasty and in a pleasant atmosphere. At about the same level (if it is still open) is Pago Pago which also offers simple fish and seafood offerings and a charming view of the lagoon.

Best
Rogov