The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Screwcaps give faultless performance

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Screwcaps give faultless performance

by Hoke » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:23 pm

Oh, Tim, I almost forgot! Special category: 187ml/4 packs. Many of them in PET bottles too. The old convenience thing.

Alice White
Sutter Home
Vendange
Lil Joey
Delicato
Black Swan
Bella Sera
Woodbridge

Hey, I don't drink that stuff myself. I'm just sayin'.

Lots...and lots...and lots more. Because, you see, it is past a trend, this alternate closure thing. It is now a solid movement. Things are changing.

And everyone is noticing it, apparently, but you, Tim.

Jancis Robinson, David Schildknecht. Jim Laube. Matt Kramer. Every single trade magazine, and a hell of a lot of consumer mags, as well as Newsweek, Time, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times...all of them have reported the same thing.

Things are changing.

More to come, Tim. More to come.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:55 pm

So how many wineries are there in your neck of the woods Hoke?

Robin is right, lets get back to other discussions. Tim likes a cork in his wines. So do many others. This is their prerogative. It does not matter how long the list is that you produce, Tim will not change. Screwcaps may or may not be the way of the future. Only time will tell (if you have enough of it left that is). I have too many wines to try in too short a time to worry about the minor things.

Now that Grange has the choice of cork or screwcap, I would take the screwcap every time. But if someone were to give me a '96 Grange (with a cork) for free, I would bite their hand off without batting an eye lid. :lol:
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:14 am

Bob Ross wrote:"Thanks for your "support.""

Oh, come on Tim. Robin's job is to support the Discussion Group. He's asking for a truce -- why not respect his role and his site and let it go.

You make many great suggestions. How about going over to the FLDG and letting us know about some great pasta sauces.

Regards, Bob

Hm.

I get your point.

But if some yay-hoo is going to accuse me of being a troll, he is going to hear about it....in triplicate, if need be.

Fair enough?
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:15 am

Sutter Home.....airplane wine, now?

OMG :shock:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:16 am

You are dangerously close to overplaying your hand, my friend....because I'm willing to bet the ranch you have run out of screw cap sellouts, er..sorry, wineries to post.

Why, thanks, Tim. Where is your ranch, anyway? Is it very large, or what? I don't really want to take on the responsibilities of a big place. I mean, I'm not as young and energetic as I used to be, and the bursitis in my shoulders is aggravating, so I don't want to, like, be out there baling hay and chasing dogies and stuff every weekend.

But if it's a small place, sure, I'd love to have another piece of property.

Taxes aren't real high, are they? You know what they say, land rich and all that.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:20 am

It's close to Woodbridge, you know, near Bella Sara's "Home."

Airplanes and waterfront dives abound. :roll:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:35 am

TimMc wrote:It's close to Woodbridge, you know, near Bella Sara's "Home."

Airplanes and waterfront dives abound. :roll:

I get the feeling you're not being straight with me, Tim. That's not very nice, you know.

And it's not "Bella Sara". It's Bella Sera. If you're going to be snide, you should at least make an attempt to get it right.

And did you check on that Shakespeare quote the way I asked you to? Hey, you're a teacher, right? Isn't that your claim? So you should know the value of getting something right, and how silly it makes you look when you muck something up...especially something as well known as Shakespeare. I mean, hey, would you let one of your students get away with that? I think not.

Now, seriously, you offer to bet your ranch, and then all of a sudden you sound like you might be welching. I'm going to begin to question your veracity here, Tim, if you keep this up.

After all the trouble I went through to get those lists of screwcapped wines for you to avoid, too. I feel...used. Yeah, that's how I feel: used.

But you know what? Despite your lack of truthfulness here, I'm beginning to enjoy listing all these wines that are going to screwcap, and other alternative closures. It's kinda nice to list all these establishments finding out what the customers want and supplying it to them.

So, really: where is your ranch?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:09 am

"Troll"

Tim, I know you are passionate about cork, and for many of us here it is difficult to determine whether you are a poster who merely has different values, views, or ideas, or a user who is intentionally trolling.

In this thread, though, Sue first used the word "Troll", and she was referring to an old tradition on WLDG when people would post a very controversial statement, sometimes sincere, sometimes very much tongue in cheek, but always intended to kick up lots of discussion.

I've carefully read each reference in this thread to the word "troll"; I am satisfied that every other person who used the word was referring to the thread, and not to you personally.

Here are a few examples of the Weekend Troll on WLDG:

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=575271

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=559059

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=537018

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=534115

etc., etc., etc. If you want to see more, go to http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/search.php?fn=1 and insert troll in the subject search box.

On WLDG, the word "Troll" means the thread, not the person. It's a cultural usage of the word perhaps specific to this discussion group.

In any event, please drop the name calling, and let's get back to talking about wine, food and humor.

Good night. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 am

Hoke wrote:...Because, you see, it is past a trend, this alternate closure thing. It is now a solid movement....

Kind of like "Alice's Restaurant Masacre", where if we all act crazy, maybe they'll abolish the draft? :shock:
BTW - one of my favorite Niagara Peninsula wineries, Flat Rock Estate, has never used cork, only screw cap.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:56 am

Thanks for the addition, Howie.

Niagara Peninsula. I'll add it to my list of screwcapped wines.

And all you readers out there can add the

Hofer Gruner Veltliner (contender in the all time great QPR Sweepstakes, at a liter for less than $10 and under a CROWN CAP!!!)

Albert Mann, Alsace.

Three Thieves, and in a cute jug with a little retro handle on it too.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03 pm

TimMc wrote:Sutter Home.....airplane wine, now?

OMG :shock:

Just part of that "big picture" you keep going on about, Tim. Gotta list what's out there and avaialable, you know.

And by the way, it wasn't from an airplane. This was from a local store's retail shelf.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:45 pm

Tim:

More for the list!

Kurt Darting, Germany.

R. H. Phillips, USA

Cult Wines California. Obscure, but what the hell, they count.

Argyle. Not obscure. Big time Oregon.

I'm going out to buy some new cowboy boots, Tim. Yippy-yi-o!

Can you send me the address to the ranch? I'd like to Google it with the satellite cam. You know, get a feel for the place. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:31 pm

Hoke wrote:Thanks for the addition, Howie.

Niagara Peninsula. I'll add it to my list of screwcapped wines.

And all you readers out there can add the

Hofer Gruner Veltliner (contender in the all time great QPR Sweepstakes, at a liter for less than $10 and under a CROWN CAP!!!)

Albert Mann, Alsace.

Three Thieves, and in a cute jug with a little retro handle on it too.

Hoke,

I bought that Gruner to see if the price was right--nothing to do with the screw cap, but I did not like the wine. Hardly any GV character to it.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:36 pm

Thomas:

Sorry to hear you didn't care for it. De gustibus, and all that.

I've bought several bottles now, and my wife and I have enjoyed them all. No, it's not the most profound GV in the world, but for a $9 a liter quaff, it's pretty damned tasty, I think.

When I want profound, I go to Hirsch and Pichler and Nigl and Gobelsburg and such. :)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Tim:

Here's one out of left field!

Sofia! Bubbly in a single serving can (but you can get it in a pink saran-wrapped bottle too!). A catchy and colorful alternative from your friends at Coppola Wine Industries, Inc.

Quite popular with the younger crowd, from what I understand.

So, whattaya think? Justins? Tony Llamas? I'd like to go a little retro and maybe get Mexican tops with a low heel. Stylish, but good for light working boots too, you know. I've never been one for those long high-heel pointy-toed types. It pays to go for quality when you're buying boots, I think; you stint on something like that, you're looking for trouble, don't you think? Worth it to get a good pair of boots but pay a little more up front, I say.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Tim:

They just keep on coming in!

Stormhoek, South Africa. Screwcap.

Fortant, from that big old winebasket down in the south of France. Twist and shout.

More on the way.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:33 pm

Hoke wrote:Cult Wines California. Obscure, but what the hell, they count.

Hoke, Good thing you didn't refer to it as "Cali" or you would have been beat down by someone who actually lives in California. :wink:

Per Robin's request I'm headed back to my neutral corner.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Hoke wrote:Thomas:

Sorry to hear you didn't care for it. De gustibus, and all that.

I've bought several bottles now, and my wife and I have enjoyed them all. No, it's not the most profound GV in the world, but for a $9 a liter quaff, it's pretty damned tasty, I think.

When I want profound, I go to Hirsch and Pichler and Nigl and Gobelsburg and such. :)

Hoke,

It's quaffable all right, no argument there, but I can get so many quaffable non-varietals.

I admit, based on its price I had a preconceived notion, and if anyone should know, I know that going in with a pre-conceived perception is the wrong way to enter a bottle. ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Hoke wrote:Cult Wines California. Obscure, but what the hell, they count.

Hoke, Good thing you didn't refer to it as "Cali" or you would have been beat down by someone who actually lives in California. :wink:

Per Robin's request I'm headed back to my neutral corner.

To the tune of Bali High:

Cali why d'you cult 'em
Cali why d'you
Cali why can't you see
that your wines are pee-pee

Just a joke fellas--please no flaming, I'm sensAtive.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:29 pm

Thomas wrote:To the tune of Bali High:

Cali why d'you cult 'em
Cali why d'you
Cali why can't you see
that your wines are pee-pee

Uh-oh Thomas! Prepare to get debated on.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:35 pm

More, more, and more, Tim!

Four Emus Unoaked Chard---a trifecta of edginess: critter label, unwooded chard, and screwcap, all in one bottle! Woo hoo!!

Frontera Sauvignon Blanc

Rocky Trail Sauvignon Blanc

Montes Sauvignon Blanc

Devil's Rock Pinot Grigio

Laroche Rose, France

Evolution Reserve Sauvignon Blanc, SA

Canti Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio

El Prado Macabeo, Spain (you might not know Macabeo, Tim, but it's a Spanish white that's used for still wines, and a lot in Cava)

Fairhills Sauvignon Blanc Colombard

and from Germany, Kendermann Dry Riesling.

Regarding the ranch, Tim: How's the terrain. Will just an old beat up range truck do, or will I need four-wheel-drive? Reason I ask is I have an old Ford, little beat up, but perfect for a ranch truck, and I can rip off the bed and convert it to a flatbed/stake truck if I need it for hay or hauling feed or whatever. Any information would be appreciated. Decisions to make, you know.

This is cool, Tim. I feel like I'm entering a new phase in my life right now.

My wife wants to raise goats. It's sort of a thing with her.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:14 pm

Bob Ross wrote:"Troll"

Tim, I know you are passionate about cork, and for many of us here it is difficult to determine whether you are a poster who merely has different values, views, or ideas, or a user who is intentionally trolling.

Regards, Bob

Bob,

I have posted this before, but apparently it was not read, so I will post it again.

This is the definition of a troll:

In Internet terminology, a troll is usually someone who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive, offensive, off-topic or otherwise disruptive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or alter the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls. Often, trolls assume multiple aliases.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

An individual who chronically trolls in sense regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/troll

I have no aliases, I do not willfully attack, I do not purposely anger people and I do not engage in the trollish practice of accusing others of being trolls. Hoke has. James has. Why are they not considered trolls?

I have stated on numerous occasions my desire to learn....trolls do not do that either.

These definitions simply do not reflect and are not even close to what I have posted or will post in the future. Passion is not trolling. Defending oneself from the real instigators/trolls on this BBS isn't either.

Tell me Bob...what is Hoke doing right now? Would his specious postings of no-name cheap wines be flame bait? Are his posts "inflammatory, rude, repetitive, offensive or otherwise disruptive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or alter the flow of discussion"?

I'm still here, I'm still wanting to learn.

If this still does not convince you...nothing will.

Apparently, the single most compelling requirement in order to avoid being labled a troll is to agree with everything and everybody. Well, that isn't going to happen, Bob.

And if this is what you people want to believe about me then go ahead....pull my name off this BBS.

Happy trails.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Does this mean I won't get my ranch?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Tim, I have been reading your posts on and off. It is becoming very tiring my friend. If you want to taste with me, talk about wine together great! If not, please leave it alone. Most of us have had enough, you have made your point..lets go elsewhere please.
PreviousNext