The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines Of South Africa Tasting London

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

Wines Of South Africa Tasting London

by keith prothero » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:20 am

• 2004 Boekenhoutskloof Cabernet Sauvignon - South Africa, Coastal Region, Paarl, Franschhoek Valley (10/10/2006)
    Dark plum. Black berries,cedar and earthy,smoky new oak.Dense,opulent,seamless and medium to full bodied,this is a lovely wine.Drinkable now but give it a few years. This is one of the best cabs I have tasted at this years WOSA,and justifies its high rating. (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Hamilton Russell Chardonnay - South Africa, Walker Bay (10/10/2006)
    Another Platter 5 point wine tasted at WOSA 2006. Pale gold.Gorgeous spice/lime,balanced butter toast density,and lovely creamy texture.Good,length,will improve with age but definately a classy wine,and drinking well now. (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Rudera Rubusto Chenin Blanc - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (10/10/2006)
    Yellow.Rich truffly custard aromas,luscious peach fruits supported by clean oak lines.Lovely balance,creamy texture and fresh finish.A very elegant and well made wine that deserves its 5 star rating. (91 pts.)
  • 2001 Hamilton Russell Pinotage Ashbourne - South Africa, Walker Bay (10/10/2006)
    Dark ruby. Nose of exotic herbs and meat,with smoke,spice and blackberries. This is medium to full bodied,quite refined,although fairly hard tannins at the finish.Needs a few more years,but is a very nice wine that will fool many at blind tastings. (90 pts.)
  • 2005 Vergelegen Vergelegen White - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (10/10/2006)
    Light straw.Nose of lanolin,citrus and minerals with smoked herbs.It has great intensity and surprising depth and persistence on the palate. A long refreshing finish.Will definately improve with 3-5 years bottle age.This is one of the best Verg whites I have tasted. (90 pts.)
  • 2004 Neil Ellis Shiraz Vineyard Selection - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (10/10/2006)
    Dark purple.Spicy,savoury nose,quite Rhone like,black plums,roast beef and dark chocolate richness.Very firm now but still approachable.Always one of my favourite Cape shiraz and this one will be outstanding in 5 years or so. Very good/excellent (89 pts.)
  • 2004 Ernie Els - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (10/10/2006)
    Dense dark purple. Layers of concentrated fruit along with graphite,camphor and jammy cassis.Immense in the mouth,very rich with a boatload of tannins.This is a wine made in the modern day style that will no doubt suit Mr Parkers palate,but is just a little too over extracted for me.No doubt will improve with at least 5 more years but I would not be tempted to buy at the current price of £40 or so. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wines Of South Africa Tasting London

by Jenise » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:49 pm

Ah, here are names I know. Say, passed on buying an Ernie Els last week because I was concerned it was made in a Parkerized style--your note confirms it. Whew, I saved $40!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:01 pm

Jenise:

If you're looking to add some interesting wines to your South African stash, may I recco Vilafonte.

It's a joint venture between Zelma Long and Warwick Estates (with Phil Freese, Selma's partner, doing the viticultural work).

I tasted the wines when they came into the country...and I was floored by their quality. Some of the best stuff I've had out of South Africa.

They have two wines, the M series, which is a Merlot-heavy blend, and the C series, which is heavy up on Cabernet Franc and Sauv.

Get both.

They are imported by Broadbent Selections, and should be attainable up in Washington state.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:31 pm

Hoke, I knew about Zelma Long doing work in South Africa but I don't recall knowing the name of the venture. Thanks for the tip.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:47 pm

Vilafonte make nice wines to be sure,but do I think they are worth the money? No .
Far better value for money,and proven quality, in wines such as Rustenberg Peter Barlow,Kanonkop Paul Sauer and the Vergelegen bdx blend-------not the V which is also overpriced.
For straight cab hard to beat the Boekenhoutskloof and Le Riche.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:39 am

keith prothero wrote:Vilafonte make nice wines to be sure,but do I think they are worth the money?

But they are marketed to the US and without a serious price they won't be taken seriously in that market.
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:11 am

Yes I agree Peter.Made the same point,in a letter I wrote to Wine magazine in South Africa and a few Americans were quite upset at the suggestion :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:12 pm

keith prothero wrote:Yes I agree Peter.Made the same point,in a letter I wrote to Wine magazine in South Africa and a few Americans were quite upset at the suggestion :lol:

Silly Americans! It's true. I used to have a friend who was proof of why it's unfortunately so--tell her a wine costs $100, and she'd rave about it (if it was good wine) and write notes to remind herself to buy it. But an equally good wine that only costs $20? She'd say: "This is pretty good for cheap wine" and forget about it.