The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Alsace and Macon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Alsace and Macon

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:15 pm

Consumed over quite a few nights: 2004 Albert Boxler Chasselas (I looked but didn't see any of those little lot numbers that Boxler uses for some wines). Unsure I've ever had a varietal Chasselas before; I bought this because I had a gift certificate at a store where everything I knew was overpriced (I'm sure this was too, but at least I didn't KNOW it, no basis of comparison). Interesting- floral and tropical, but with a good acidic backbone. Kind of Gewurztraminer meets Viognier, with a dash of Pinot Gris. Mostly floral/musky, with some quince/tropical fruit flavors. More minerally than fruity, but a little lacking in depth and concentration. Still, worth trying once. B

Tonight I made parmesan/garlic baked chicken, with leftover broccoli and asparagus, and the 2005 Le Bourcier "Cuvee Elena" Macon. A new store just opened in my town, and this was on sale for $10. Sharp lemon and white peach fruit, a little short in the concentration department. But good food friendly acidity, would be ok as a party wine, B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: Alsace and Macon

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:18 am

Thanks for the tip on the Macon Dale. I'm a sucker for them; no or little oak and great values.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Alsace and Macon

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:31 pm

Carl,
if available I'd spend a couple more dollars and get the 2004 Manciat Macon-Charnay,Worth the dfference.