The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '89 Gruard, 2 '99 Bdx, a great Macon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: '89 Gruard, 2 '99 Bdx, a great Macon

by Marc D » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Some more notes from earlier this summer.

1989 Château Gruaud Larose Low neck fill. Decanted about one hour, served with grilled NY strips. Garnet red color. Cassis, oregano, and slight barnyard funk in the nose. Black fruits, tobacco spice and very dry in the mouth. Tannins are a little drying on the finish. Good but maybe a little underwhelming.

1999 Château Cantenac Brown Translucent dark red color, vibrant nose with high toned mint, spicy tobacco leaf, red fruits. Cedar, cassis, light cinnamon and smoky cranberry fruit with soft tannins but lively acidity. Elegant and drinking really well right now. It continued to develop over several hours in the glass. Very good.

1999 Château Haut-Beauséjour This seemed very soft and fruit forward, with a good nose of cedar, and ripe blackberry, and almost fully resolved tannins. Flavors drop off quite noticeably in the middle. International style Bordeaux. It didn't seem at all typical for St Estephe.

2002 La Soufrandiere (Brett Brothers) Pouilly-Vinzelles Les Quarts Very aromatic, acacia flower, marzipan and ripe apple nose. Texture is a bit thick, like half and half. Good fruit flavors, pear and a little honeycomb. Some minerals towards the end. A good acidic spine kept this vibrant and kept the rich texture and flavors fresh and interesting. I really enjoyed this a lot, could have easily mistaken this Macon wine as a higher priced Cote de Beaune. This is open and drinking well now but seems to have the balance and material to age well also. I guess there really are a couple of brothers named Brett making wine in Burgundy. I gather that the wines named La Soufrandiere are made from their own estate, and the ones labelled Brett Brothers are their negociant label. I liked this enough to order three more bottles.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: '89 Gruard, 2 '99 Bdx, a great Macon

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:33 pm

Nice notes, thanks. Welcome back. I like the Gruaud a bit better than you. I always get a kick out of winemakers named Brett!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:25 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I always get a kick out of winemakers named Brett!

I guess for some markets, it's an unfortunate name. But though I haven't tasted them ever, I already count myself a fan! ;)

Nice to hear a positive note on Cantenac-Brown. I think that since 1996 they have been making pretty good stuff, though before that they were pretty abysmal IMO. I just hope the prices don't start going up.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:19 am

Dale Williams wrote: I like the Gruaud a bit better than you.

I liked the Gruard OK, I think it was more about expectations. I didn't enjoy it as much as a bottle of the '89 Talbot. This bottle seemed like it was drying out and maybe past its peak.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:24 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Nice to hear a positive note on Cantenac-Brown. I think that since 1996 they have been making pretty good stuff, though before that they were pretty abysmal IMO. I just hope the prices don't start going up.

The Cantenac Brown was a very pleasant surprise. Fragrant nose, good acidity, very food friendly. The Haut Beausejour was a disappointment though. Very soft, anonymous, modern. At least it wasn't too expensive, thankfully.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:02 am

Marc D wrote: I liked the Gruard OK, I think it was more about expectations. I didn't enjoy it as much as a bottle of the '89 Talbot.

Marc,

There is '89 Talbot all over the place, but I have avoided it because Parker said it had none of the funk of the '88, which he saw as a positive (for the '89). (I avoid it because I would have to buy it at $75 a bottle or so, I certainly wouldn't avoid it if I could taste some without shelling out a lot of money.) He made the '89 sound innocuous to my taste. Was it at all funky in your opinion?

Covert
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 am

I think the '89 Gruard actually had more funkiness than the Talbot. The Talbot had something unique about the nose, and a real elegance. It didn't really have the Cordier stinky thing though. Maybe stick to the '88 if that is what you want.
Marc Davis