The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An Australian Sweety

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN: An Australian Sweety

by Dave Moritz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:03 pm

WTN: R.L. Buller & Son Fine Muscat (NV) Australia, Victoria, Rutherglen.

Come the cool winds of fall, a sweet wine like this never fails to please. Produced in a solera system a la sherry, this is one of Buller's mid-priced bottlings. Very viscous with gorgeous legs. On the palate, a super balance between acid and grape sugar with flavors of orange and red fruit. I found this especially pleasing as another Buller bottling tried a year ago (a Tokai) was characterised by more of a rancio character with accompanying brown sugar and maple notes (not my style). In fact, this Muscat reminded me of a light porto. About $13 for a 375, I'd call it a very good QPR.

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

Re: WTN: An Australian Sweety

by DebA » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:23 pm

Dave Moritz wrote:WTN: R.L. Buller & Son Fine Muscat (NV) Australia, Victoria, Rutherglen.

Come the cool winds of fall, a sweet wine like this never fails to please. Produced in a solera system a la sherry, this is one of Buller's mid-priced bottlings. Very viscous with gorgeous legs. On the palate, a super balance between acid and grape sugar with flavors of orange and red fruit. I found this especially pleasing as another Buller bottling tried a year ago (a Tokai) was characterised by more of a rancio character with accompanying brown sugar and maple notes (not my style). In fact, this Muscat reminded me of a light porto. About $13 for a 375, I'd call it a very good QPR.

Dave Mo

Very interesting TN, Dave; I like the way you write. ;) You have introduced me to a sweet wine produced like sherry that I previously knew nothing about! Now, that sounds intriguing! :cool:
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:34 pm

I have a Buller "sticky" in my inventory but I think it is the tokai.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Rutherglen fortifieds, especially the Tokays and Muscats, are largely undiscovered treasures of the wine world. And they are worth discovering!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:44 pm

Deborah Ackerman wrote:Very interesting TN, Dave; I like the way you write. ;) You have introduced me to a sweet wine produced like sherry that I previously knew nothing about! Now, that sounds intriguing! :cool:

Deborah, I actually thought of recommending a Rutherglen Muscat (Chambers for example) since you liked the Apostoles Palo Cortado. They are rather sherryish, and I've had them a couple times double blind, and I have on first sniff always gone to Jerez. The reason I didn't suggest them, is that they might be a bit sweeter than what, if I understood correctly, you might like. But even good ones are rather cheap, so if you find one, try it! I agree with Sue that they are treasures that one should pick up now (especially since it is rare to get a treasure for cheap anymore ;) )!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:38 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I have a Buller "sticky" in my inventory but I think it is the tokai.

Never short of "sweeties"around here..or the desserts to go with them!!
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:14 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Deborah Ackerman wrote:Very interesting TN, Dave; I like the way you write. ;) You have introduced me to a sweet wine produced like sherry that I previously knew nothing about! Now, that sounds intriguing! :cool:

Deborah, I actually thought of recommending a Rutherglen Muscat (Chambers for example) since you liked the Apostoles Palo Cortado. They are rather sherryish, and I've had them a couple times double blind, and I have on first sniff always gone to Jerez. The reason I didn't suggest them, is that they might be a bit sweeter than what, if I understood correctly, you might like. But even good ones are rather cheap, so if you find one, try it! I agree with Sue that they are treasures that one should pick up now (especially since it is rare to get a treasure for cheap anymore ;) )!

Thank you, Otto, I will. Perhaps it will end up being a little sweeter than I may prefer, but I'm definitely willing to give it a try. I suspect that after discovering the treasure of Apostoles Palo Cortado, most wines will pale in comparison for me, but that's the inherent trade-off of beginning with the best. ;)
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:30 pm

Deborah:

Thank-you! I too have tasted a Chambers Rutherglen as suggested by Otto, and found it greatly to my liking for the same reason that the Buller Muscat was so enticing (i.e., the orange and red fruit flavors). It seems such a contradiction to find red fruit flavors in what are essentially white wines!

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Rutherglen fortifieds, especially the Tokays and Muscats, are largely undiscovered treasures of the wine world. And they are worth discovering!

Hush, woman, hush!!!!!!! :wink: :lol:
Cheers,

David