The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clape Cornas 2002

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Clape Cornas 2002

by Saina » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:06 pm

This is actually a very enjoyable drink. The nose is true N Rhone in its peppery, meaty aromas and it also has a lovely fresh herbaceousness. It is a bit simple for sure, but it is true to the area and grape and is very sniffable, indeed! The palate is also fine, with enough fruit to cope with the noticable tannins. It does lack a bit of concentration and the aftertaste is on the shorter side, but I was really surprised by this wine anyway. Despite the evident "faults" brought upon this wine by the vintage, it has the true character I expect of Clape.

I think that for those of us who usually like the Clape style, this will make very pleasurable drinking while waiting for the previous vintages to mature. I *guess* but am not sure, that this is a case where you have to know the character of the wine before you'll enjoy this one. The only problem is the price. In our pathetic monopoly this costs only 10€ less than the 2001, and frankly, enjoyable - lovable even - as this is, it is not worth the 44€ asked for it.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Clape Cornas 2002

by James Dietz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Otto, was this the Renaissance bottling???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:43 pm

Cool. I have a bottle in my cellar. I paid way too much for it. :cry: Should this wine be cellared for ahile, or drunk now?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:32 pm

James Dietz wrote:Otto, was this the Renaissance bottling???

No. The regular one. Did they make the Renaissance in 2002?

Brian K Miller wrote:Cool. I have a bottle in my cellar. I paid way too much for it. Should this wine be cellared for ahile, or drunk now?

I think it will benefit from a couple more years, but considering Cornas's reputation this is IMO a short term wine. I think 1-3 years will soften the tannins without compromising anything else so that would be the time I'd leave it. Knowing Clape's reputation, I am sure they will last longer, but frankly I don't see it getting much more interesting after that. But what is fun about wine is that my guess to the wine's future could very well be totally wrong! :) Sorry for not giving any proper answer, but I suck at telling the future.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:38 am

I tasted both the 02 Cornas and the 02 Cornas Renaissance back in the beginning (fall 04), and I was pretty impressed for the vintage, as they were both fine wines.

Of course I never went out to spend 40euros on them either. But...