The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Talai Berri Getariako Txakolina

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

WTN: 2004 Talai Berri Getariako Txakolina

by Dan Donahue » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:17 pm

• 2004 Talai Berri Getariako Txakolina - Spain, País Vasco, Getariako Txakolina (4/3/2006)
    From the reports that I've read, 2004 was an excellent year for Spanish whites. When I called in my order for a bunch of Albarinos, the woman on the phone suggested that I also pick some whites from Basque--her family's homeland.

I tried this one tonight: the grape is Hondarrabi Zuri. Nose: an enchanting spritz of lemon-lime with a floral overtone. The color was a clear, almost translucent, pale yellow. And yes, there were tiny bubbles in the glass, much like a Vinho Verde.

In fact, this tastes like a cross between a VV and very dry Sprite. That may sound strange, but actually it is very good. If it helps you can insert a reference here to the seductiveness of Halle Berry (sorry, I couldn't resist the the pun). It grabs you and doesn't let go. This will would be a perfect summer quaffer with seafood on the grill. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: TN: 2004 Talai Berri Getariako Txakolina

by Saina » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:56 am

Txakolí rocks! Try red Txakolí next from the Hondarrabi Beltza grape. It's even a greater oddity, but it kicks ass with the fatty Euskaran dishes.

Euskara (both the Spanish and French parts) seems unique in its language, its wines and its foods - it's a great area to explore for culinary and linguistic delights! Maybe I should change my sig to "Txakolí Harri" (lol, sorry, I'll stop making trilingual puns now.)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:32 am

Wow, Dan, with all those k's and x's, I expected to read about a Greek wine!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

X's

by Dan Donahue » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:15 pm

Jenise--I think this wine is harder to pronounce than drink. I have a few more whites from the area, but no reds. I'm going to have to search out Otto's suggestion.

I liked this a lot more than the Greek wines I've tired (admittedly a small sample).
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: X's

by Saina » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:24 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:Jenise--I think this wine is harder to pronounce than drink. I have a few more whites from the area, but no reds. I'm going to have to search out Otto's suggestion.

I liked this a lot more than the Greek wines I've tired (admittedly a small sample).

Dan, if I've understood Euskaran pronounciation correctly it is very easy. X is pronounced like the English /sh/ - just like it used to be in Spanish. Other than that it is pronounced exactly as it is written. (Of course there are spanishisms in the script, e.g. with the combinations /ll/ pronounced a bit like a /y/ in English, and /j/ being like in the Spanish word /jamon/.) See - very easy :)

They seem to use the Munemahatsa grape for white Txakolí also. I must get my hands on that too.

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:05 pm

Sounds like the forward line for a Greek soccer team, perhaps Peridosxlyki Fc or that other one Herottoluxtorioli. I`ve gotta get a life.