Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Far Worse Than Insects and Kosher Too

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:15 pm

I just received a communication from the p.r. firm that works with the TukTuk restaurant in Rehovot. The restaurant has added a new dish to their menu. Hold your breath - they're calling this thing "Sushi Hamburger"

The ingredients - a "sandwich" enclosed by two "burgers" made of sticky rice with slivers of tempura and between those sashimi of salmon and tuna, lettuce, a carpaccio of cherry toatoes, lettuce and a spicy mayonnaise.

Now let's be clear, this thing may be delicious but the list of ingredients is quite enough to put me off and in my opinion the photo shows this dish to be one of the most unsightly, unappetizing creations I have encountered. Why anyone would boast about a dish like this one eludes me. Who knows though - it may be the latest hit.

The photo may take a while to open (big file) but worth waiting to see it. Me..I will not be making a trip to TukTuk to taste this thing.

Best
Rogov

Hamburger Sushi.JPG
(1.65 MiB) Not downloaded yet
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Far Worse Than Insects and Kosher Too

by Shlomo R » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:28 pm

What an odd-looking item.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Shlomo, Hi...

I think the use of the word "odd" shows a good deal of charity on your part. 8)

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard Tasgal

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 am

Beer-Sheva, Israel

by Richard Tasgal » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't think this appeals to me any more than it does to you guys, but it does remind me of a few things from Japan (where I did a postdoc).

When I was obliged to go to a fast food burger place by nostalgic fellow westerners, I would skip the burgers and instead get a very lightly cooked vegetable thing between two grilled sticky rice things. I think this is it: http://www.mos.co.jp/menu/rice/kinpira/ . My original aim was to avoid the most blatantly treif items, but even now I think this item was actually pretty decent, and not only because of the contrast with the rest of the menu, which was even less appealing to me than McDonalds et al. The rice things that substitute for hamburger buns are clearly adapted from a common Japanese food, yaki onigiri, grilled rice triangles. The Japanese put mayonnaise on a dismayingly (from the perspective of someone who doesn't like mayonnaise) large number of foods, such as, for example, pizza (along with katsuobushi, dried bonito shavings), so I can see where the inventor of the sushi hamburger got the idea for mayonnaise.
Last edited by Richard Tasgal on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:52 am

No way - heck no - forget about it - and I ADORE Sushi!!!!

Thanks for grossing me out Daniel!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Looks more "clever" than appetising.

(I don't go for raw fish myself.)