The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sunday Chat today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Sunday Chat today

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:55 pm

It's Sunday again, the first chilly autumn day we've had this year in these latitudes, and as far as I'm concerned that's a good reason to stay in for Sunday Chat. We'll gather at the usual time and place, a little over two hours from the time-stamp on this post, at 4 p.m. US Eastern, 1 p.m. Pacific, 2000 GMT and 22:00 in Western Europe, in The WLDG Chat Room. Hope to see you there!
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Sunday Chat today

by James Roscoe » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:12 pm

I'm at work and probably won't make it unless there are still a few of you there around 6:00 EDT
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:21 pm

Robin,

At the bottom of the screen it says that all times are GMT + 4 hours. Your post was time stamped 9:55 pm. Does that mean it was posted at 2 pm on Sunday, EST?

If so, why is the site GMT, and why the + 4 hours, and why is the Chat referred to in EST?

Just wondering--not making any accusations or expressing any desires.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Thomas wrote:If so, why is the site GMT, and why the + 4 hours, and why is the Chat referred to in EST?

Just wondering--not making any accusations or expressing any desires.

Thomas, as RR says, you can use the Profile button to customize your view of the forum in your computer. The issue here (and of course I understand that you're neither accusing nor whining) is simply that in an international forum, it's simplest to leave local settings up to each individual. You can simply ignore the Profile and accept that the times will be off, or you can adjust to your local time zone (currently GMT-4 for you and me) and remember to change it on Fall Back Sunday, just as you do with your clocks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:37 pm

Randy R wrote:so, Robin, where is the tutorial page on how to use the profile page?

I thought you were writing it!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:19 pm

We're here! C'mon in!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:We're here! C'mon in!

I would, but we don't seem to have a link from the site - why is that?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I would, but we don't seem to have a link from the site - why is that?

Err ... the words The WLDG Chat Room in the initial post ARE a link! You can also always get there from the WineLoversPage front page, in the column of links on the left.

It's possible to customize the forum front page and add buttons to it, but that's problematic because every "skin" has to be customized separately, which is why we generally do it this way. The inidial chat announcement post should always have a link, and you can always go to http://www.wineloverspage.com to navigate around the site if you get lost.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:I would, but we don't seem to have a link from the site - why is that?

Err ... the words The WLDG Chat Room in the initial post ARE a link!

It would be very difficult to know that unless one happened to trail one's cursor over those words, as they do not show up as an underlined link in your post.

You can also always get there from the WineLoversPage front page, in the column of links on the left.

I have never been back to that site (and do not have it bookmarked), nor do I intend to (I expect that some, at least do likewise), and assume that this site is a stand-alone site and as such I suggest that it have all requisite buttons to take you wherever one needs to go directly from this site.

Any idea why your link in your message does not show as a link typically would?
[/quote]
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:27 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:It would be very difficult to know that unless one happened to trail one's cursor over those words, as they do not show up as an underlined link in your post.

Bill, I guess it's because the forum software comes that way. <shrug> I could look into changing it, but you're the first person to raise this issue ever, so I can't say there's been a huge demand.

I have never been back to that site (and do not have it bookmarked), nor do I intend to (I expect that some, at least do likewise), and assume that this site is a stand-alone site and as such I suggest that it have all requisite buttons to take you wherever one needs to go directly from this site.

I'm going to assume that you're referring to the Netscape/CompuServe Forum. I don't expect you to go there. That's not what I said, though. WineLoversPage.com, which I publish and which remains the oldest, largest and most popular independent wine-appreciation website, is the host of this forum. Not to put too fine a point on it, it is the economic engine that makes it possible for me to give you guys this forum without advertising and without cost. Accordingly, I'm sure you can understand why your comment above, if you meant it knowingly, would really have p!$$ed me off. :)
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm going to assume that you're referring to the Netscape/CompuServe Forum. I don't expect you to go there.

OK, but I don't go anywhere but HERE so it would be a help if it was possible to put a link here - otherwise, as I now know that the links in messages here are 'hidden' (bizarre, that - never seen it before), I can find my way as long as you post one of your 'non-link links' every time.

Thanks for the explanation.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:43 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I'm going to assume that you're referring to the Netscape/CompuServe Forum. I don't expect you to go there.

OK, but I don't go anywhere but HERE so it would be a help if it was possible to put a link here - otherwise, as I now know that the links in messages here are 'hidden' (bizarre, that - never seen it before), I can find my way as long as you post one of your 'non-link links' every time.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'll see what I can do in terms of a button, but it really wouldn't hurt to bookmark both the chat room and WineLoversPage. And knowing about the link in the regular chat announcement post is not A Bad Thing. :oops: