Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Polly wants a cracker?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Polly wants a cracker?

by Larry Greenly » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Another thread gave me this idea for a question. What's your favorite cracker?

I really like Wheat Thins. And I like Crispini, too, (the one with all the different seeds on top).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Polly wants a cracker?

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:46 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I like Crispini, too, (the one with all the different seeds on top).

I'm right with you there, Larry, assuming that you're talking about the very thin, crisp kind that's about maybe 6 inches long by 1 inch wide. We usually get these at Whole Foods, and Mary transfers them to an airtight tin to keep them fresh, so the packaging is gone and I can't check the brand.

Mary insists on Premium Saltines for regular use, and I'm okay with that. Cheez-Its are a guilty pleasure, but I try not to indulge, and really, we don't get a lot of 'em. Too easy to eat too many if temptation is at hand. Sometimes I'll get a bag of mini-pretzels to satisfy the salty-crunchy craving - they seem to be lower on calories and fat than most crackers are.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:47 pm

I love pretzels, too. But I much prefer the big honkers over the little ones. Several years ago I visited the Utz and the Snyder's pretzel factories in PA. Very interesting. Particularly the machine that twisted the pretzels. How did they do that?

Your Crispini sounds like the one I like. I believe they're made in New Jersey. I'd love to find a recipe to duplicate them.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:48 pm

Triscuits!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Mmmm. Triscuits....

Great with blue cheese--oh, sorry--bleu cheese <sniff>.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:38 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Great with blue cheese--oh, sorry--bleu cheese <sniff>.

<i>Mais non, M'sieu</i>. Reverse snobbery comes into play here. <I>Fromage bleu</I>, sure, but "<i>bleu</I> cheese" is mixing languages, very declassé. No self-respecting food snob would do it.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:54 pm

Tut, tut. Eet was only a test to see if you truly subscribe to the ideals of the Academie Francaise. I would otherwise nevair do sometheeng zo declasse', monsieur.

Oh reservoir.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:26 am

RE: Truscuits - my mother knew the guy who invented them when she worked at the Nabisco Shredded Wheat factory in Niagara Falls many years ago.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:18 am

I'm with you too, Larry. I really like Crispini. Especiallly with a schmeer of cream cheese and a shred of smoked fish. My husband is a Wheat Thin fanatic and eats them all the time dipped into cottage cheese. Triscuits are great with warm savory dips. A cracker I like for cold toppings (crab salad) or strong-flavored cheese is the lowly Ritz. Nice and buttery. Also, Carr makes a very elusive cracker made with wheat or graham flour. Delicious with creamy, soft cheeses. I can hardly ever find these in the store though.

And what's with the popularity of the table water cracker?? I can only think of one application for it -- caviar. Can someone enlighten me as to why this is the most predominant cracker in the "gourmet cracker" section?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:56 am

Carrie L. wrote: Can someone enlighten me as to why this is the most predominant cracker in the "gourmet cracker" section?

Sure. Carr's is owned by Kellogg's - one of the few players with enough cash to buy shelf space in the big supermarkets.

Next question?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:15 am

Carrie L. wrote:I'm with you too, Larry. I really like Crispini. Especiallly with a schmeer of cream cheese and a shred of smoked fish. My husband is a Wheat Thin fanatic and eats them all the time dipped into cottage cheese. Triscuits are great with warm savory dips. A cracker I like for cold toppings (crab salad) or strong-flavored cheese is the lowly Ritz. Nice and buttery.

I was first introduced to Crispini at an art reception at a fancy restaurant. As I remember, it had a schmear of sour cream and topped with crumbled hard-boiled egg, sliced scallions, and caviar.

I believe it's Ritz that has an oven-baked variety that is fabulously good. The first time I tried them was at a book signing and I thought they were homemade.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:54 am

The most versatile all-around cracker at my house, the one my pantry is never without an open box of and one standing by, is Matzohs (and we're not Jewish). Unsalted or Lightly Salted, with a preference for a brand called Yehudi I think (they get a little blacker around the edges) but which we rarely see, Bob makes peanut butter "sandwiches" out of them, serve weekend lunch salads atop them or break them up into smaller planks and use them for cheese, salmon carpaccio and the like.

My other favorite plain cracker for cheese is Wasa Light Rye.

For a dessert cheese plate, there is nothing better than the various fruit-and-nut studded Raincity Crisps I buy in Canada.

For snacking? Triscuits.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:38 pm

I've grown fond of Matzohs, too.
no avatar
User

Christy M.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Christy M. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:56 pm

Since crackers seem so lonely without cheese, my cracker of choice is the plain water cracker (Carr's or Trader Joes) adorned of course with some lovely cheese, i.e. Humboldt Fog or Gloucester with dill with do....and now the wine....
Christy
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:13 pm

As a nearly lifetime New England resident--I was born in Charleston, SC, while my dad was stationed there in the Navy, and spent four years in Omaha, Nebraska while my dad was in medical school at Creighton, but otherwise grew up in Connecticut and went to college in Massachusetts, and have worked all my life in MA or New Hampshire:

My preferences are for Pilot Biscuits and Common Crackers.

Thumbs up to Triscuits, saltines, and water crackers, too.

-Paul W.