The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bargain of the month...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

Bargain of the month...

by Glenn Mackles » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:26 pm

I hesitate to call this a tasting note because honestly folks, I really don't know how to do that. I haven't got a clue what tar (let alone gobs of tar) or pencil lead, or glycerine taste like. Still, I have run across a wine that to me is a real bargain... and so...

Marques de la Villa, Malvasia 2005, denomination de origin Toro, Spain, 13% alcohol. Imported by Monsieur Touton Selection Ltd., NY. $7.99. The only previous Malvasia I had tasted was a red, which honestly I wasn't real keen on but this is a white. And this one both looks and tastes rather like a New Zealand Marlborough sauvignon blanc. Lots of citrus fruit with a bit of an acid edge. It goes down so easy that you end up drinking a lot more of it than you might have intended. And at 8 bucks a pop, it's my wine bargain of the month.

Best to all,
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Bargain of the month...

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:34 pm

Great post, Glenn. Who needs those gobs of whatever, anyway! It's good to hear that you found a bargin via M. Touton. I see lots of the wines they bring in at the local shops and my track record with them is pretty poor. On occasion they do bring in something suprisingly good though. Nice find.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: Bargain of the month...

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 am

Glenn--
Your post sure reads like a tasting note to me. No one needs to incorporate terms like gobs or pencil lead or glycerine if they don't want to. On the other hand, you clearly note that you tasted citrus fruit, as opposed to, say, apple or pear. The more interest one finds in drawing such distinctions, the more likely he or she will be to note a taste or smell of "pencil lead" in a particular wine as opposed to other possible minerally components. But none of that is necessary to enjoyment. Anyway, I enjoyed your note and hope you'll keep posting WTNs.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !