Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

David H

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:24 am

Urim, Israel

The Ultimate Home-Made Meal for 1 (or 2)

by David H » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 am

Aside from the choice of whisky, I can wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments and step-by-step instructions that are elegantly provided in the following recipe:
http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2010/07/hungry-for-meatless-horny-as-all-get-out/
Of course this is no substitute for a properly grilled T-bone or trout, but for Meatless Tu biShvat it'll do just fine.
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. --
Anon.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: The Ultimate Home-Made Meal for 1 (or 2)

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:22 am

Now that's a well written piece. Good writing, humor and a fine recipe to boot. If I have any real bone to pick with the author it is use of the word "drinky-poo". I have always thought that people who enjoy a "drinky-poo" are the same ones who do not eat dinner but turn to "din-din*".

Best
Rogov

*I do realise of course that he was writing tongue in cheek. That's what makes it such good reading.
no avatar
User

Joel D Parker

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:32 am

Re: The Ultimate Home-Made Meal for 1 (or 2)

by Joel D Parker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:54 pm

I wish I was witty enough, and British enough, to respond to that article in kind. Very enjoyable. I'm going to have to read some more Jason Peters. He definitely took me back to my days as a divinity student at Edinburgh University, surrounded by wonderfully blasphemous Anglican humor.

I especially liked the attempts to reign in the mood with music, and choosing the wine based on the color of the sky at that moment. Again, I'm not quite British enough to feel the need to choose EITHER Bach OR Skynard, and seeing as the sky is generally blue in Tel Aviv, I have to use other factors to determine my wine choice.

Though, that being said, perhaps the most brilliant concept of the piece was that summers are difficult times to decide what to do, what to eat, what to listen to, and what to drink. I find myself in that dilemma often during the long, insufferable Israeli summers.

And though I'm a big fan of whiskey, it usually doesn't cross my mind to drink it at any point during the summer, except for after a few cold beers late in the evening with friends.