Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Unmasking The Restaurant Critic

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:20 am

Sent to me by one of my faithful correspondents, an article in the Washington Post about the unmasking of a restaurant critic. I will have some comments to make but later, lord, later...it may already be somewhat after noon but I'm still half asleep.

See the article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04787.html

Best
Rogov
User

Charlie Dawg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

Re: Unmasking The Restaurant Critic

by Charlie Dawg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Yes, I was going to ask you about this. What did you think about the whole situation? I don't remember you were some camouflage uniform when we went out to the restaurant?
You are what you eat.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Unmasking The Restaurant Critic

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Truth is that nearly all restaurant critics who are worth anything are easily recognized in their own cities or, in a place as small as Israel, in most restaurants. Another truth is that does not really help the chef....

Certainly the recognized critic can get better service but knowing that the critic watches carefully to observe the service at tables other than his/her own. Can also get a large portion, but here again, one watches to see what portions others are receiving.

Also, as chefs have their tricks, so do critics. Order the soup, for example...that was made long before the critic appeared and there is nothing the chef can do about that; the same with many sauces; and certainly with desserts. Order the most standard things on the menu as those give an easy basis for comparison. Also order at least one or two of the chef's specialties to judge how creative he/she can be.

And don't forget, when a well known critic is known to be on the premises the chef and the waitstaff are nervous and thus bound to make quite a few small but serious errors.

Best
Rogov