The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Texan Down Under

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Candace Griffiths

Rank

Just got here

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:59 am

Perth Western Australia

Texan Down Under

by Candace Griffiths » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:20 am

Hello, everyone, on this forum! All y'all seem to know one another and enjoy one another! (I've been lurking.) I'm a Texan married to a West Australian. We are retirees and live half the year in Perth and the other half in the Texas Hill Country, enjoying only spring and summer weather year round. It's a great life in both hemispheres. My husband and I drink white wines almost exclusively. We enjoy a rose occasionally if that qualifies for a red, I don't know. Being Australian means loving wine so when I became an unofficial Aussie in 1998, I began drinking the fine wines of OZ. John and I travel throughout Australia and visit wine areas wherever we are. If anyone has a chance to visit OZ and wants a bit of local wisdom, we're available on this forum.
Texas Down Under
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Texan Down Under

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:46 am

Welcome Candace! Great to have you here and looking forward to some tasting notes on wines you think are special. I am a white wine junkie so bring `em on! Which wines are your favs!!?
no avatar
User

Candace Griffiths

Rank

Just got here

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:59 am

Perth Western Australia

by Candace Griffiths » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:27 am

It's so depressing! When John and I are in the US, we rarely buy an Aussie wine. Why? Because OZ doesn't export its best wines to the US.

I was listening to a podcast from the Sydney Wine Show last (US) summer, and the top wine experts and judges were chastizing the OZ wine exporters for exporting only wines they couldn't sell in Australia! Their point was simply that the world is judging Aussie wines by its exports since few people have the chance to experience the wines in country. And the impression of the inferiority of the wines is mainly because the exports ARE inferior.

That said, I can hardily recommend boutique wines produced here, as we enjoy many, many from the Barossa Valley and Adelaide Hills as well as the other wine regions in South Australia and of course many from our Perth area wine regions. To name a couple, Lenton Brae SSB from Margaret River is consistently lovely and Barrett's SB and Rose from Adelaide Hills also. Since sav blancs are a great complement to many foods, they're a fav with us. Also Houghton's White Classic (was called White Burgundy in the past from Perth's Swan Valley) is a terrific winter white. If you can find that one, it's to chilly weather what rose is to the heat. One OZ wine which is available in the US (I don't know about Canada) is Yalumba Y series Viognier, and that's a nice drop. We had this wine with smoked turkey before leaving the US in Sept and were over the moon by the pairing.

Maybe one of these is available where you are!

Cheers!
Last edited by Candace Griffiths on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Down Under
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:35 am

Thanks, up here in Alberta we have a fantastic choice. The Y series Viognier is always a consistent product!! I am a big Riesling fan and have some bottles going back a few years!!! Reds I am big on these days include Pike`s, Seppelts, Foz Ceek, Petaluma, Glaetzner. The list goes on eh.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:59 am

Welcome to the forum, Candace. I'm looking forward to hearing about all of the wines you are enjoying over there.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:31 am

Candace Griffiths wrote:It's so depressing! When John and I are in the US, we rarely buy an Aussie wine. Why? Because OZ doesn't export its best wines to the US.....

Welcome Candace! My experience tells me that situation isn't unique to OZ. The best local wines, from NY State and Ontario, are sold at the wineries and I would expect the same to be true in CA, OR, WA and BC. One of these days I'm going to have to make an extended west coast tour. :wink:
no avatar
User

John Greef

Rank

Just got here

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:58 am

Perth, Australia

by John Greef » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:26 am

Wow, another "Perth-ite"

Great to know that I do not need to drink alone.

I too am knew here. :wink:

I am a real fan of Aussie whites, so long as they are not sweet.

There are some GREAT Sem/Sauv blancs to be had and a few real good rieslings, but they are harder to find. And they vary greatly from vintage to vintage.

Does this forum have a chell specker?
John Greef
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:58 am

Candace and John, welcome to both of you! Glad you've joined us and hope you'll find this place as entertaining and educational as I have. Cheers!
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:56 am

Let me add my welcome to Candace and John. As one who has been turned off to Aussie wines because of the style and quality we get here in Michigan, I am looking forward to hearing more about your good stuff. (I must admit, though, that I am primarily a red wine addict.) I've put a short list in my pda already, and will see which of your recommendations are available here.
-OW
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:09 am

Welcome to Candace and John from Perth. It's great to have more Aussies on board! I tend to agree that OZ does not send its best wines over here. Of course Oz is judged on its Yello Tail and Rosemount, not on the good stuff. Both of you stick around and join in the conversations.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:40 am

Candace and John, let me add my welcome. Oh, and spell checker? You're talking to her--which word do you want checked? :twisted:

About Aussie wines, it is widely understood by the Americans on this board that the majority of Aussie exports are the ones that suit the American idea of Aussie wine--think sweet and heavy like Yellow Tail--and that a lot of your best wines never leave the country. Candace, you mentioned Houghtons--I fell in love with their verdejo while I was visiting Oz, and tried hard to find it here. No luck. But we Anericans do see a lot of very good wines--the problem is that it takes a hardy soul figure out which those are and many give up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:52 am

Welcome John, hope to see you around with some tasting notes!!
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:59 pm

John Greef wrote:Does this forum have a chell specker?

And a welcome from the Other Downunder, New Zealand.

I use ieSpell, from http://www.iespell.com and find it works well. It probably works with browsers other than IE as well.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

John Greef

Rank

Just got here

Perth, Australia

by John Greef » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:21 am

I do not use IE, but I guess there is an equivalent for Firefox. I need to do a search.

I love most of the NZ Marlborough dry whites I have tasted. It is great than NZ has some for export.
John Greef
no avatar
User

John Greef

Rank

Just got here

Perth, Australia

by John Greef » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:31 am

James Roscoe wrote:I tend to agree that OZ does not send its best wines over here. Of course Oz is judged on its Yellow Tail and Rosemount, not on the good stuff

Some of those wines are very "average" to put it kindly. The YT Pinot Grigio is not too bad. And usually priced right! With a suplus of grape production in Australia over the past few years, I am sure that some wineries are just oaking whites generally, and labelling it as Chardonay. Yuck!

I know that YT has been available in the USA for a few years, but this is the first year I have seen it available here locally.

It is a great excuse to 'have to' travel, in a quest to discover better wines.
John Greef
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:09 am

Welcome, Candance. I found several Australian wines on a visit there that I thought were awfully good. But there are a couple of small importers who bring in some very nice wines from Australia, I think.

How about Texas?

Very few of them are sold outside Texas. Do you have any favorites?

Again, welcome. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:10 am

Welcome, John. It's great to see you here, and I look forward to discussing wines with you.

Regards, Bob