What's wrong with Food Network

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Howard » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Here is a link to an article by Bill Buford from the New Yorker. It really does spell out what many of us have felt. The problems at Food Network are deliberately created by the management and have resulted in the Network increasing its worth to billions of dollars. There has been a definite push to change the nature of cooking TV. Mr Buford's article eloquently documents the time-line and effects of this push.

Link is here: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/a ... 002fa_fact
Howard
Howard
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Sounds interesting, Howard ... I think I'll wait for the print edition to get here, <I>The New Yorker</I> being one of those little indulgences that I still enjoy sitting back with and reading the old-fashioned way.

If I recall correctly, though, Buford had an extended section about Food Network in <I>Heat</i> that covered very similar ground. Bet a nickel this article is borrowed^H^H^H^H updated from that.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17212
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Yeah, there's not much we haven't beaten to death here. But a niche opportunity has opened up as they've abandoned Real Cooking, broadband makes distribution no longer subject to the same gatekeepers, and the scorned 15MM viewers are no small matter. if I were you, Robin, I'd be pounding at the doors of venture capitalists with a plan to build a multimedia cooking "channel" starting with those 15MM affluent "viewers."
User avatar
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin
 
Posts: 4422
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: Big Sky

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:25 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:ame gatekeepers, and the scorned 15MM viewers are no small matter. if I were you, Robin, I'd be pounding at the doors of venture capitalists with a plan to build a multimedia cooking "channel" starting with those 15MM affluent "viewers."


I'm terrible at stuff like that. What I need is an agent. What's yer fee? ;)
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17212
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Jeff Yeast » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:10 am

Never in our history as a species have we been so ignorant about our food.


Well that about says it all :roll: Thanks for posting the article. Food TV was my favorite channel early on, it and HGTV when they were both mostly "how to" and "why" programming. And while the personalities and sets are certainly prettier than they used to be, the shows are underdeveloped and garishly scripted. I still watch from time to time, but I often ponder that if I was a new aspiring home chef, I would still have no idea how to make that dish after watching Emeril...BAM!
User avatar
Jeff Yeast
Wine geek
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:12 pm
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Jenise » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:ame gatekeepers, and the scorned 15MM viewers are no small matter. if I were you, Robin, I'd be pounding at the doors of venture capitalists with a plan to build a multimedia cooking "channel" starting with those 15MM affluent "viewers."


I'm terrible at stuff like that. What I need is an agent. What's yer fee? ;)


I wanna be a producer! Got yer first show: Chef on Fire. Has a certain ring to it, and Joseph can be as cranky as he wants--he'll still look like an angel next to Gordon Ramsey.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26495
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby ChefCarey » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:18 pm

Damn, how'd I miss this!

Much better title for a show then the one one of my assistants came up with a few years ago.

I had these two evening assistants for my demonstration classes. They called each other "Dick." In fact, it wasn't either of their names.

The title?

Chef with Two Dicks
ChefCarey
 

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Carrie L. » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:20 pm

Howard, thanks for posting the link. Good article. I think most of us feel the same way -- that the network is now completely dumbed down to the point of being ridiculous. I enjoy a few shows--Ina's and Giada's, mainly.

Yesterday I had it on just for background noise and Sandra Dee was making something with chicken, and was wearing some ethereal white blouse with gaping butterfly sleeves that kept dragging onto the raw chicken. Yick! I found myself thinking -- a perfect example of the "form over substance" mentality that is now par for the course on the Food Network.
User avatar
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:44 pm

Ewww, Carrie! Now I am even more grateful I don't own a tv.
User avatar
Cynthia Wenslow
Pizza Princess
 
Posts: 5788
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: The Third Coast

Re: What's wrong with Food Network

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:35 am

Wot, no tv. You are missing Rachael in the afternoons!!
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9575
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: What's right with Food Network?

Postby Bernard Roth » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:17 pm

Ask the question a different way - What's right with Food Network? - and you'll get an empty thread.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
User avatar
Bernard Roth
Wine guru
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: What's right with Food Network?

Postby Christy M. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:06 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:Ask the question a different way - What's right with Food Network? - and you'll get an empty thread.


I'd put Alton Brown in the "what's right" category but would have to stop there and he definitely could improve(a little too theatrical sometimes if you ask me).

I'd much rather watch Jacques Pepin on PBS - "Ahappy Coohking!" always makes me smile, I often learn something new, and he makes something that actually looks good to eat!

I just don't get it. The Food Network is a very popular TV channel. With whom? It can't be people who really love food. They wouldn't do that to their food. Doesn't it make you feel very removed from most of how America seem's to eat?
Christy
Christy M.
Wine geek
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: What's right with Food Network?

Postby ChefCarey » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:35 pm

Christy M. wrote:
Bernard Roth wrote:Ask the question a different way - What's right with Food Network? - and you'll get an empty thread.


I'd put Alton Brown in the "what's right" category but would have to stop there and he definitely could improve(a little too theatrical sometimes if you ask me).

I'd much rather watch Jacques Pepin on PBS - "Ahappy Coohking!" always makes me smile, I often learn something new, and he makes something that actually looks good to eat!

I just don't get it. The Food Network is a very popular TV channel. With whom? It can't be people who really love food. They wouldn't do that to their food. Doesn't it make you feel very removed from most of how America seem's to eat?


Yes.
ChefCarey
 


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests