Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Sushi Grade Tuna

no avatar
User

Daniel Y

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Sushi Grade Tuna

by Daniel Y » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:31 am

On the continued subject of ingredient hunting, I am very grateful for the answers so far.
Does anyone know where I can buy sushi-grade tuna in the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv areas.
I would like to buy fresh and not frozen.
Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Sushi Grade Tuna

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 am

Sorry but don't know the name or address of the shop but try the fishmonger's on Tel Aviv's Rehov Ibn Gvirol - located on the eastern side of the street about 200 meters from Rehov Jabotinsky walking in the direction of Rehov Basel. If the fish in the display case does not please the eye, ask him to bring a fresh fillet from the inside refrigerator.

Best
Rogov
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:23 am

Daniel Y wrote:...sushi-grade tuna...I would like to buy fresh and not frozen.

No such thing available, unless you can get to the Tokyo wholesale fish market at 4 a.m. and participate in a whole tuna auction. Most "sushi-grade" fish is deep-frozen to kill parasites ( see http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-grade-fish.htm ), and then thawed for sale. The Japanese wife of one of my colleagues buys her sushi-grade fish from a wholesaler in Ashdod, specifically because they have quick-frozen fish that was fresh when frozen.

We buy fresh salmon from the fish counter at Tiv Taam and use it for sashimi, 'tis usually very good. They sometimes have decent-looking tuna, and we have purchased it a few times - makes a decent sashimi when sliced very thin, but not sure 'tis worth the price they ask.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Sorry but don't know the name or address of the shop but try the fishmonger's on Tel Aviv's Rehov Ibn Gvirol - located on the eastern side of the street about 200 meters from Rehov Jabotinsky walking in the direction of Rehov Basel. If the fish in the display case does not please the eye, ask him to bring a fresh fillet from the inside refrigerator.

Best
Rogov

Didi Ha'Dayag?
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Could be, Chaim. I'll check the name on Sunday when I do some shopping there.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 am

Nothing to do at all with finding good yellowfin tuna in Israel, but I really miss getting a chance to go to the wholesale fish market and watch them butchering tuna. I'd watch for a while, then purchase an 8-10 pound strip that I would slice up at home. Ever since they moved the market from Manhattan to the Bronx, I haven't gone. :(

I WILL comment that unless you have several friends who are willing to share, AND you really like eating tuna, do NOT participate in a whole-fish auction. Yellowfin are BIG - the second largest species of tuna, and the smallest whole one I've ever seen was 55 pounds (22 kilos) and that was headless and gutted.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:33 pm

I checked and the store is the one I was thinking of, only it's called Didi Dag. Not Did Hadayag.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com