The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine with Jambalaya?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Wine with Jambalaya?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:36 pm

So I just made up a big pot of jambalaya with a chicken, andouille, and kidney bean base and pretty hefty spiciness of thyme, cilantro, basil, jalapeno, paprika, garlic, shallot, red pepper, onion, celery, carrot in a red (tomato paste/chicken stock) sauce, all over rice.

Any ideas on what wine might pair with this? I'm stuck.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Wine with Jambalaya?

by Bob Henrick » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:15 pm

Bill, I think I might skip the wine with this dish and open a really big, and really cold lager! If I had to go with a wine though I suppose it would be Riesling, especially a German Riesling, or a gewertz with some residual sugar. I would probably not go with a red because I doubt that the tannins would not match well. Come to think of it though a cru bo-jo might pair well.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:So I just made up a big pot of jambalaya with a chicken, andouille, and kidney bean base and pretty hefty spiciness of thyme, cilantro, basil, jalapeno, paprika, garlic, shallot, red pepper, onion, celery, carrot in a red (tomato paste/chicken stock) sauce, all over rice.

You can't really trust what I say because if I like a wine I generally am able to pair it with anything. That being said ...

I agree with Bob wholeheartedly (also about the beer), but I might add that something spritzy, pinkish or rosé-ish with a touch of R.S. might go well with this ... even that '05 Napa Gamay from V. Sattui I reviewed this week. To be honest, I eat a lot of hot stuff and the red chile flake is usually the emptiest condiment jar in the rack. (I mean I pour the brine from the pickled jalapeños into my tuna salad. It's sad and I have hardly any stomach lining left.)

Anyway, as a rule of thumb, I find wines that I would enjoy on a sweltering hot summer's night pair well with the spicy food like this, e.g. Bob's Riesling, vinho verde, a fizzy rosé, cheap Lambrusco, Prosecco etc.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:So I just made up a big pot of jambalaya with a chicken, andouille, and kidney bean base and pretty hefty spiciness of thyme, cilantro, basil, jalapeno, paprika, garlic, shallot, red pepper, onion, celery, carrot in a red (tomato paste/chicken stock) sauce, all over rice.

Sparkling mineral water? Before I got a nasty amoeba which limited my intake of spicy food, I used to eat food that was "tough" for wines nearly every day. It depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to emphasise the heat, go for a young(ish) Nebbiolo based wine. The fruit in them will work with the heat, and the tannins will emphasise it - this is my perfect pairing for curry! :)

The sad truth is that alcohol emphasises heat, so with sort of food any alcohol (beers included) will just make it seem stronger. If you want a good pairing, I suggest making fresh juice. Get 100% unsweetened juice.

If you are adamant and want wine, remember these tips: low alcohol, low tannins, sweetness (but whether from residual sugar or ripe fruit is immaterial), moderate to high acidity (causes salivation, which lessens burn), perhaps a touch of carbonation (not full blown Champagne-style, but more pétillant). These guidelines made some of the least unsuccesful pairings for me! :) Wine and and even only moderate spiciness just doesn't work IMO.

Ironically Fino sherry seems to go with anything, though it disobeys these "rules" of mine.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:07 pm

Bill, I'd go with beer. Otherwise Prosecco.

Sounds like a delicious Jambalaya all on its own -- just water would do for me.

Strat's Place had an interesting discussion on this match awhile back -- maybe something here will inspire you:

Amanda .. We found a perfect inexpensive wine for jambalaya quite by accident. Try Turning Leaf's Red Zinfandel, there's no bitter aftertaste, and it's not so strong as to overpower the meal!

Jason .. We've had good luck with Aussie Shiraz. Try Rosemount Diamond Label or Leasingham Clare Valley. Definitely go for something brash with a lot of fruit. The earthier ones just die with jambalaya.

Jack .. Just had a 1996 Rabbit Ridge Sangiovese with it the other day and the combo worked nicely.

Dan .. BIG, spicy Red Zin....or an equally big Shiraz.

alt.food.wine ... Wine with Jambalaya? Easy = ZINFANDEL, Big, unabashed, spicy just like the Jambalaya.

alt.food.wine ... Beside various Sangiovese, I like it w/ a good strong Riesling. For an unusal combo, try a good mild but fraqent Japanese sake serve chill !

http://www.stratsplace.com/winefood.html

And Robin's take: MATCHING WINE: I'm not really crazy about wine with fiery fare, and if you travel in Cajun country, you'll most often find the food of the region served with ice-cold beer or sweet iced tea. If you insist on wine, I recommend slightly sweet, fruity options, from Riesling to gentler-styled Merlots, or modest bubblies like Spanish cava or the Italian Prosecco.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 1118.phtml
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:48 pm

You guys are great, as always. I made the jambalaya a day in advance so it can meld in the fridge overnight and now I have a multitude of options here. I was leaning towards something with some residual sugar as Bob H suggests and we are always game to open a German riesling in this house. But Otto's young nebbiolo sounds really intriguing as does the Zin from Ser Ross's suggestion. I might open a few things (adding the vinho verde that Gary mentioned) and I'll report back Saturday night.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:28 am

Personally, I would go with a big, alcoholic Slovenian Merlot from the 2003 vintage or a frothy Freisa from Gianni Voerzio.

Maybe even an oaky Spanish bruiser from Calatayud or Carinena.

How about a Bandol?

Agostino
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:54 am

Gigondas.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:02 am

Prosecco and then cool down in the tub with the rubber duckies!!
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:35 pm

As much as I love Prosecco, how is a white going to stand up to all that flavor?

At least go for a Bardolino or a Valpolicella.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:20 pm

Agostino Berti wrote:As much as I love Prosecco, how is a white going to stand up to all that flavor? At least go for a Bardolino or a Valpolicella.

That's not the point, Agostino! With all the at spice we're sure our friend is going to get agita so we're offering him a substitute for Brioschi!! :roll:
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:12 pm

so we're offering him a substitute for Brioschi!! I grew up on brioschi too! love to put that stuff on my tongue. :lol:

So I followed some sage advice and we went with sweet tea. Worked perfectly!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:40 am

Bob Ross wrote:alt.food.wine ... Wine with Jambalaya? Easy = ZINFANDEL, Big, unabashed, spicy just like the Jambalaya.

alt.food.wine ... Beside various Sangiovese, I like it w/ a good strong Riesling. For an unusal combo, try a good mild but fraqent Japanese sake serve chill !

Art's alt.food.wine quotes are from bygone days. Two of alt.food.wine's most prolific posters (Dale W and myself) have had this to say on the subject in recent years:

Dale - White Chateauneuf-du-Pape
me - off-dry Loire Chenin Blanc

I'd take either of those choices over a Zin, but the Riesling choice is fine with me, too. And Champagne is hard to go wrong with.

Mark Lipton