Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

IOTM: Cauliflower mushrooms!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

IOTM: Cauliflower mushrooms!

by Jenise » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:55 pm

Yesterday at our monthly lunch in Vancouver, one of those courses that makes you almost weep with gratitude (especially for the 98 Pommard it was served with) was a fricasse of chanterelles in veal demi glace on puff pastry, and topped with a separate fricasse of a frilly little pile of something called "cauliflower mushrooms". New one to me, at least by that description--it somewhat resembled the one I know as lions mane mushroom, but it seemed more toward the putty than golden color of white. But no matter, it was SENSATIONAL. Had a lovely flavor similar to oyster mushrooms but much more robust and foresty in flavor, and a texture that was silky like a oyster mushroom but which also had in a minor way some of the resilience of a wood ear. The pieces were paper-thin, and I presume that come that way but they also could have been shaved. For me the cauliflower mushrooms were the star of the dish. Anyone know anything about them?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: IOTM: Cauliflower mushrooms!

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:23 pm

They're easily available around here. Knobby guys that look like little cauliflowerish golfballs. The ones you had were certainly shaved. I'll look up the Latin name and edit.
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:43 am

do you have a link, or a foto of this mushrooms?
Tsunami alias Albino
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:34 am

no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:16 pm

ahhh....

in german it is called "krause glucke"

"sparassis crispa" latin name
Last edited by tsunami on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsunami alias Albino
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:42 pm

Kraude gluck?

[laughing] Tsunami, that sounds like an infectious disease. I think I like cauliflower better. Delicious 'shrooms by any name, though, really really delicious.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:12 pm

Thanks for the Wikipedia link, Stuart, I should have looked it up myself. Anyway, that helps a lot. Loved the taste of these and perhaps the texture even more.