The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: S. A. O.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: S. A. O.

by Florida Jim » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:37 am

Spain, Austria, Oregon:

2004 Descendants de J. Palacios, Bierzo Pétalos:
Smells like a tannic cabernet franc (but without any herbaceous quality); rich in the mouth with black fruit flavors, some earth tones and a good shot of tannin; medium length, somewhat tannic finish. Shows youthful and undeveloped but with good fruit and structure and I like the flavor profile. About $16, and could use a couple years in the cellar.

2000 Nikolaihof, Riesling Smaragd Im Weingebirge:
Expansive pineapple-ginger nose with lots of stone/mineral scents but no petrol tones; also expansive in the mouth with a juicy acidic backbone, good depth, some nuance and excellent balance; medium length, mouthwatering finish. A wine of power and finesse in its toddler years. 12.5% alcohol and about $35, on release.

1998 Hamacher, Pinot Noir:
Developed pinot nose with soy, earth, underbrush and red fruit; younger on the palate with medium weight, solid acids, flavors that follow the nose, pretty nuance and good balance; medium length, strongly flavored finish. A wine of finesse and backbone; not anywhere near its peak but charming and interesting, at the moment. About 13% alcohol and about $30, on release.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: S. A. O.

by Redwinger » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:39 am

Jim,
Did you scrap the "I would/would not buy it again at that price" rating system?
Curly
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:43 am

thanks for the note on the Nikolaihof. I was contemplating bringing this as an offering to an offline where I was to bring a Riesling, sounds like (much) more time is in order.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:44 am

Redwinger wrote:Jim,
Did you scrap the "I would/would not buy it again at that price" rating system?
Curly

Inadvertently.
I was away for a month and just forgot the format.
FWIW, I would buy all of these again at the prices mentioned.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 am

Dale Williams wrote: . . . sounds like (much) more time is in order.

Or maybe, some decanter time.
Who can say?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:15 am

It's always a pleasant suprise when a 2000 Austrian Riesling does well. Nikolaihof was very good in the vitnage, but sadly others were not so lucky.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:40 am

Thanks for your many notes on the Palacios Pétalos. Bierzo is a region I'm interested in exploring -- I've only tried a few so far -- and in service of this goal, I'm actually buying several bottles of the 2004 Pétalos today, though as per your recommendation, I suspect I won't open them until 2008 or 2009. It's nice to be able to find a Bierzo that's affordable, not overly manipulated, and carries the Florida Jim® seal of approval.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:37 am

Bruce K wrote:Thanks for your many notes on the Palacios Pétalos. Bierzo is a region I'm interested in exploring -- I've only tried a few so far -- and in service of this goal, I'm actually buying several bottles of the 2004 Pétalos today, though as per your recommendation, I suspect I won't open them until 2008 or 2009. It's nice to be able to find a Bierzo that's affordable, not overly manipulated, and carries the Florida Jim® seal of approval.

Bruce,
The region interests me as well, especially because of the mencia grape.
If I understand correctly, it is cousin to cabernet franc; judging from the flavor profile, I'd say that's likely.
BTW, recently I tried a wine from the Basque region of Spain made with the hondarrabi beltza grape, also cousin to cab. franc. What was interesting about it was that the fruit was from ungrafted vines, fermented in stainless. So it gives one an idea of what cab. franc and mencia can be under those circumstances.
I'm sure most of the mencia and cab. franc planted today is on root stock so it was nice to get a glimpse of the past lineage.
Fascinating stuff, this.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:44 am

Fascinating stuff, this.

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I bought that Basque red from Chambers Street just last week. Any relative of cab franc is welcome in my home anytime.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:45 am

Curious stuff and probably in need of 4-5 years in the cellar.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:23 am

Florida Jim wrote:If I understand correctly, it is cousin to cabernet franc; judging from the flavor profile, I'd say that's likely.

That great invention by an American researcher (Dr. Carole Meredith, formerly of the U. of California-Davis), DNA fingerprinting, has now shown that there is no botanical relationship beween mencía and cabernet franc.

There are good Bierzo wines that are even cheaper than Pétalos on the US market: below $16 you'll find Pucho, Luna Beberide Mencía, Dominio de Tares Baltos. For a little more, Bodegas Estefanía's excellent Pagos de Posada.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:23 am

Victor,
I didn't know Carole had published on that - thanks.
I have had the Dominio de Tares bottom-end bottling and enjoyed it. I'll look for the others - the grape does interest me if its is kept away from (too much) wood.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:20 pm

The Baltos is, I think, the bottom end bottling from Tares for the US market. Re Carole: no, she didn't do any study of mencía AFAIK. It was the large El Encín viticultural lab near Madrid, which has worked closely with her on a number of projects and uses her methods (as do all the leading labs in Europe).
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:The Baltos is, I think, the bottom end bottling from Tares for the US market.

That could be I just never noticed that word on the label of the bottling I tried. 'Doesn't mean it wasn't there . . .
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:08 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:(...)

Hey, Victor, glad to see you on one of the best forums arounds — a very warm welcome!
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:38 am

Thanks, Michael. Actually, I've been a (sometimes controversial) member of this forum for more than 10 years. I was just lost in one of its address changes and only recently did I find my way back!