This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older recipe posts from The Forum Kitchen and other archival Kitchen posts.

RC: Ginger-Lime Chicken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

RC: Ginger-Lime Chicken

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:42 pm

So Laura was browsing the grocery store aisles & came up with the following brainstorm after looking at some pre-packaged stuff. She came home with lots of "staples" (broadly defined) and the two of us whipped up the following marinade for some grilled chicken breasts:

Juice of 3 limes
4 Cloves of Garlic - roughly chopped/smashed
1 inch of ginger - peeled and smashed
Teaspoon of Salt
Generous pinch of black pepper
Tablespoon of sugar
Dash of Chinese chili sauce
Tablespoon of canola oil

Marinate chicken for a few hours or as long as you like really (ours went overnight). Grill.

We took the remainder of the marinade & boiled it down vigorously to a glaze for the finished chicken. Yum!

Went great with a German Riesling.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RC: Ginger-Lime Chicken

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Went great with a German Riesling.

Looking at the ingredient list, David, it almost looks as if you folks had Riesling in mind when you built the marinade!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:03 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Went great with a German Riesling.

Looking at the ingredient list, David, it almost looks as if you folks had Riesling in mind when you built the marinade!

Us??? Why would you ever say that???

Actually, I almost added a bit of spatlese to the marinade, but I had a Rheingau open where the marinade was more in tune with a Saar wine.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Juice of 3 limes

%^)

Typically this time of year, limes would come from Mexico ... this U.S.A. grown lemon farmer would like to not too seriously suggest substituting the juice of 3 small lemons instead ... do you think it would change the flavor of the marinade and/or the chicken negatively ?

I've generally found that limes add/have more citric acid in them than lemons and, therefore, tend to make a recipe a little more acidic/tart ... of course, the aroma of limes is much different than the aroma of lemons ... always a consideration in any recipe/dish ...

Just curious ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:22 pm

Lemons would be good too, but would as you said change the flavor somewhat. Either would be ok with me except that I already do a lemon chicken, but it's a lemon/herb mixture instead of a ginger accented marinade.

The acidity of the limes was properly balanced by the addition of sugar to the marinade. Also the sugar helped the reduced marinade become a nice glaze.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Good points !

by Bill Spencer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:29 pm

%^)

You've given me GOOD food for thought ... in the future, I won't be so quick to think "lemons" when I see limes ...

Of course, I do have a lime tree in my yard, too ... that and 3,500 acres of lemons !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: Good points !

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:20 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:%^)

Of course, I do have a lime tree in my yard, too ... that and 3,500 acres of lemons !

%^)

You're a lucky man. In the dead of Ne England winter (luckily over now) I could wish I was you.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Ahhhh but ...

by Bill Spencer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:In the dead of New England winter (luckily over now) I could wish I was you.

%^)

... in the dead of a Yuma summer (which, BTW probably much like your winter, seems to go on FOREVER), I could wish I was YOU ! Three years ago in late June (when it was already 108 degrees here), Kathleen and I drove and visited friends in Albion and Seneca Falls ... it was heaven ! Of course our friends told us much the same thing you mentioned - come back in January and see how you like it !

We all have our "crosses to bear" with where we live ... your area is SO rich in history, I doubt I would EVER run out of things to see or do ... and lemons in the winter are always as close as your computer ...

Clink !

%^)