Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Restaurants in Rome

no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Palm Beach, Florida

Restaurants in Rome

by Ken Schechet » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 pm

My family is going to Rome in late May. We will be staying in an apartment between the Colosseum and the basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano. Does anyone have any favorite restaurants or wine bars convenient to that area?
Ken
My Indian name is "Walks With Wine".
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Restaurants in Rome

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Rome surely does boast some fine restaurants - those from reasonably priced family-style trattorias to the most elegant and quite dear. Before responding.....is there a limit on how expensive you want to go? Will you be dining out with children? And, of course, is kashrut an issue?

Best
Rogov
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks, Mike. I forgot all about that thread.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:30 am

Mike, thanks very much for the thread.

Rogov, kashrut is not an issue. My "kids" are in their thirties. We might go for one expensive meal but we're mostly looking for neighborhood places, where an actual Roman might go for dinner. Several of your suggestions in the thread seem on the mark. Thanks.
Ken
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Ken - Enjoy! Once you return, any updates, additions or corrections to that information will be appreciated.

best,

mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Am back and happy to add two restaurants to the list. I stayed in the neighborhood just east of the Coliseum, known as San Clemente. In fact, I was just down the street from Il Gladiatore, one of Rogov's recommendations. That's a nice restaurant with a drop dead view of the Coliseum but can be noisy because of the cars, scooters and buses roaring through the Piazza del Colosseo. Worth it for the view. We wound up eating in that neighborhood several times and I have two very nice restaurants to recommend there.

Trattoria Luzzi at Via S. Giovanni in Laterano, 88 is a very popular casual restaurant with a more varied menu than Il Gladiatore. It is simple Roman cuisine and quite well done. It is absolutely filled with tourists until about 9 PM and then the Romans come out and take it over.

A block or so further east on the same street is Ristorante Isidor. The owner is Jewish but it's definately not kosher. Very good array of starters and excellent seafood dishes, although I doubt you can go far wrong with anything here. Clientele is largely locals.
Ken
no avatar
User

Trevor F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 pm

London

by Trevor F » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Ken Schechet wrote:A block or so further east on the same street is Ristorante Isidor. The owner is Jewish but it's definately not kosher.

Reminds me of Milan in the late 90s. The hard copy of the Jewish Travel Guide recommended a kosher restaurant in Via Sciesa, a few minutes walk from the Duomo. So one evening in the winter I ventured along after work, found the place, looked at the menu in the window and saw 'lumache' or snails on the menu. Thinking perhaps the place had changed hands I wandered off and then saw a group of young kipa-wearing blokes walking past me into the restaurant. Thought this looks interesting.... frummers eating snails, this sort of thing........ so I followed them into the restaurant, straight through the main room into the back where there was a separate restaurant serving kosher food. I have forgotten the name of the restaurant, I don't know if it's still there, but you had to order your meal a day in advance. I don't know what I want for lunch or dinner the same day, let alone the next.