The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs from my Tuscan trip online

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTNs from my Tuscan trip online

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:34 pm

Oops, I meant to post this yesterday but got busy. I finally got all the PDA notes from my Tuscan trip pulled over to the main computer and cleaned up, and I've posted them online (with a few photos). As I mentioned in yesterday's weekly FoodLetter, which pulled out and summarized some of the food adventures, I didn't have a lot of spare time around a busy agenda of blind wine judging. But we did get out for two good Tuscan meals each day, and along with them a fair amount of Italian (mostly but not entirely Tuscan) wine went down the hatch.

The report is a little too long for a forum message, so here's a link:

Tuscan Wine Diary 2006
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTNs from my Tuscan trip online

by Ian Sutton » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:48 pm

Robin
I appreciate your note about wishing you'd skipped the airline pasta on the route home! I can only imagine what it was like (particularly after the food you'd eaten). Although it's not possible to bring food back to US, it must be worthwhile paying a trip to a gastronomia, either the night before or on the day of leaving, in order to have some real food for the flight back.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Robin
I appreciate your note about wishing you'd skipped the airline pasta on the route home! I can only imagine what it was like (particularly after the food you'd eaten). Although it's not possible to bring food back to US, it must be worthwhile paying a trip to a gastronomia, either the night before or on the day of leaving, in order to have some real food for the flight back.
regards
Ian

Ian, I may not have fully communicated the intensity of my schedule. There would have been no time to do that, alas. In fact, our final dinner at Casa Mia lasted until almost midnight Sunday, and I was up for my ride from Siena to Florence (where air travel began) at 0430. No gastronomias open at that hour!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:Robin
regards
Ian

Ian, I may not have fully communicated the intensity of my schedule. There would have been no time to do that, alas. In fact, our final dinner at Casa Mia lasted until almost midnight Sunday, and I was up for my ride from Siena to Florence (where air travel began) at 0430. No gastronomias open at that hour!

Robin
Could you not have asked your faithful batman? :oops:
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:47 pm

You know what they say about tough jobs, Robin--someone's gotta do 'em. I don't for a second doubt that there was a lot of serious work involved, but I'm glad to see there was some serious sustenance as well. My green font shouldn't be hard to interpret. Thanks for the fine reports, and welcome home.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Kentucky

by Brian A » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:34 pm

That's a lot of food. What a shame to have to hit the treadmill before Thanksgiving :wink: