The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brun, Foillard, Lapierre, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Brun, Foillard, Lapierre, etc

by Jenise » Wed May 11, 2011 1:30 pm

All wines served blind:

1) Spying two red wax caps on the table, I decide to put my older wines in play early. This was one: tomato skin and leaf on the nose, tart strawberry and sour cherry fruit on the mid palate, and a bit of cranberry bitterness and green herb in the finish. I found it pleasant and showing well with food though perhaps long in the tooth; those without a high acid tolerance did not like it a bit. 2005 Brun Terre Dorres L'Ancien.

2) First off, a very odd nose here that one taster immediately called cow poop and which generated a rather entertaining discussion about the various kinds of poop possible, as I disagreed with 'cow' and thought it was more of a baby diaper odor. The only woman at the table who has actually raised babies was consulted for an expert opinion and declared: "this baby had applesauce!". So there. Nose of baby poop (with applesauce) that never entirely went away, though it lessened, rustic, monotone strawberry fruit, pleasant but unremarkable. 2009 Henry Fessy Brouilly.

3) This was my other wine. Pretty nose that one taster described as "toasted strawberry pop tarts". Having never smelled those I couldn't agree, but I found strawberry fruit for sure with a flinty minerality, and more of everything that one would call 'class' than in the previous two wines. Very good, it's a 2006 Pascal au Franc Julienas.

4) Here came the first red capsule. On the nose a mild barnyard funk, the good kind, which devolved if you stayed in one long inhale into cinnamon and then a surprising note of gardenia. Some raspberry notes sweeten the strawberry here on the palate, and the spiciness keeps blooming along with some green herbs. Higher acid and better with food than without, rather like the Brun, but this has the character and depth of fruit to carry it. Excellent, 2009 Jean Foillard Cuvee Corcelette Morgon.

5) Second red capsule: concentrated sweet fruit on the nose signals something new and special. Strawberry, raspberry and black cherry fruit with lower acidity than the Foillard and silkier tannins. Luxurious and submissive like a very willing woman (per the guys). Flawlessly attractive, visceral we all agreed compared to the Foillard's intellectual. Outstanding, 2009 Marcel Lapierre MMIX Morgon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: Brun, Foillard, Lapierre, etc

by Brian Gilp » Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 pm

I had to check which Fessy I had last month because it also tasted off. It was not the Brouily but was the 2009 Henry Fessy Régnié Château des Reyssiers. Also it did not smell of poop but seemed shut down and giving nothing much at all. I guess its possible but I really would not have expected this bottle to shut down much less as hard as it appeared. I have to believe that something was wrong with this bottle.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Jenise,

What kind of geek do you think you are?

That Brun should be years away from maturity, and the Lapierre MMIX is too rich and fruity to be called Beaujolais! I am aghast! :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That Brun should be years away from maturity, and the Lapierre MMIX is too rich and fruity to be called Beaujolais! I am aghast! :wink:

I'm unrepentant!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Wed May 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Anyone here with experience with the 2009 Daniel Bouland Morgon Vieilles Vignes Delys? When all the lapierre's were sold out, I was offered these instead.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Michael K wrote:Anyone here with experience with the 2009 Daniel Bouland Morgon Vieilles Vignes Delys? When all the lapierre's were sold out, I was offered these instead.

I like it very much. I had last years to try side by side too. I think the wisdom is this should sit around for a number of years, but I find a bit of air is all it needs. I've no idea if this will shut down or what not since my experience with serious aging is nil.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Wed May 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Kelly Young wrote:
Michael K wrote:Anyone here with experience with the 2009 Daniel Bouland Morgon Vieilles Vignes Delys? When all the lapierre's were sold out, I was offered these instead.

I like it very much. I had last years to try side by side too. I think the wisdom is this should sit around for a number of years, but I find a bit of air is all it needs. I've no idea if this will shut down or what not since my experience with serious aging is nil.

Many thanks Kelly!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Michael K wrote:
Kelly Young wrote:

Many thanks Kelly!

It's a big rich wine. If that's what you're looking for. Not sure that I'm the pleasure-hating geek David was calling out but I found it too big for my liking. Maybe it will age well and prove me wrong. But I can live with that.

That said, I have no problem with 09 Foillard CdP which others also find too big. I haven't had the special Lapierre cuvee but interesting that Jenise describes it as visceral compared to the 'intellectual' Corcelette. I thought the Corcelette was a pretty visceral fun easy wine, especially in comparison to the Foillard CdP, but then again that's a different comparison. And part of me isn't sure that any of these Beaujolais wines aren't visceral. But hey, thems just words. The wines are delicious.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Rahsaan[quote] wrote:That said, I have no problem with 09 Foillard CdP which others also find too big. I haven't had the special Lapierre cuvee but interesting that Jenise describes it as visceral compared to the 'intellectual' Corcelette. I thought the Corcelette was a pretty visceral fun easy wine, especially in comparison to the Foillard CdP, but then again that's a different comparison. And part of me isn't sure that any of these Beaujolais wines aren't visceral. But hey, thems just words. The wines are delicious.

In a different context or with a different set of wines, my remarks might not hold up at all, even to me. But given this set of five, in that order, that's how I and everyone present seemed to feel and we all agreed on intellectual vs. visceral, too: the Foillard demanded an attention to detail where the Lapierre was effortlessly enjoyable.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Rahsaan wrote: Not sure that I'm the pleasure-hating geek David was calling out but I found it too big for my liking.

Not you. More a fictional amalgam of pleasure haters. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Wed May 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Rahsaan wrote:That said, I have no problem with 09 Foillard CdP which others also find too big.

Me either. It's been fantastic the 2 times I've had it. Mucho air required, though.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 12, 2011 12:08 am

Lee Short wrote:Me either. It's been fantastic the 2 times I've had it. Mucho air required, though.

I had 3 or 4 bottles back in the fall and it didn't always need a lot of air then, at least for my tastes.

Either way, I look forward to tasting it again in a couple of years.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Is the MMIX also bottled with no/little sulphur?
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com