Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's your worst microwave disaster?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

What's your worst microwave disaster?

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:39 pm

I've heard of measuring cups of water exploding when the user tries to remove them from a microwave (the water becomes superheated and doesn't boil).

But my worst disaster was many years ago when I was raising chickens. I decided to feed a bunch of chopped-up, hard-cooked eggs to my chickens.

I placed a couple of dozen eggs in a heavy-duty garbage bag and zapped them. Pretty soon I heard explosions in the microwave (the eggs were exploding). I stopped the microwave and removed the bag, but they would still occasionally explode as I was trying to take them outside. Let me tell you, exploding eggs are dangerous and no joking matter. They were like little hand grenades, complete with shrapnel and pieces of very hot egg white slicing through the bag. Can you say, "WMD?"

Moral: don't do that.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: What's your worst microwave disaster?

by Ian Sutton » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Biggest disaster is what it did to my moms cooking. From a decent, if disinterested cook, she lost all understanding of what real food tasted like through it's use. I recall one week, where we had Chicken leg, jacket potato and sweetcorn each of the seven days... with each item in the same position for every meal. AAAARRGGHH!!! :shock:

You'll not be surprised to hear I don't own one!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:54 pm

I can't top that one, but never try to reheat brussels sprouts in the microwave unless you want to scrape hot brussels sprout "salad" off the microwave.

By the way, I am assuming the exploding eggs were raw when they went in. You can't microwave already boiled eggs either. The outcome is similar to the aforementioned brussels sprouts.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:26 pm

My wife rarely nukes eggs. I have a plastic egg nuker and she decided to try it out, but I'd never told her it was de rigeur to pierce the yolk.

The yolk was definitely on her (by the time she'd cleaned all the hardened egg off the inside of the oven).

Most macabre nuke incident - a relatives kids decided it would be such fun to give little Hammie, their pet hamster a ride on that thing in the microwave oven that turns around. Uh...wrongo

[img]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb202.gif[/img]
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:06 pm

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:22 pm

Yes, Stuart, I know they don't explode - it just seemed an apt image to append.

They did, however have to change it's name from Hammie to Snuffie, as the ride did cause the hapless varmint to expire.

I imagine it to be a painful way to go.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:45 pm

My comment wasn't meant to be about the image, it was just a fun link. There must be an updated version of the stoned babysitter legend, with a microwaved baby substituting for the baked one.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:46 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I've heard of measuring cups of water exploding when the user tries to remove them from a microwave (the water becomes superheated and doesn't boil).

But my worst disaster was many years ago when I was raising chickens. I decided to feed a bunch of chopped-up, hard-cooked eggs to my chickens.

I placed a couple of dozen eggs in a heavy-duty garbage bag and zapped them. Pretty soon I heard explosions in the microwave (the eggs were exploding). I stopped the microwave and removed the bag, but they would still occasionally explode as I was trying to take them outside. Let me tell you, exploding eggs are dangerous and no joking matter. They were like little hand grenades, complete with shrapnel and pieces of very hot egg white slicing through the bag. Can you say, "WMD?"

Moral: don't do that.

Uh, Larry? The microwave incident was bad enough, but tell me this:

Why did you think it would be a good idea to feed...eggs...to chickens?

Think about it. Eeeeeeeew. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:My comment wasn't meant to be about the image, it was just a fun link. There must be an updated version of the stoned babysitter legend, with a microwaved baby substituting for the baked one.

I have my own version of the stoned babysitter story, but it doesn't involve microwaves.... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Chickens eat anything. What about bugs? Eewww.

I used to drop a cicada into the flock and watch all hell break loose when one chicken (with the cicada) would run around with all the other ones after her trying to snag her treat.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:01 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Chickens eat anything. What about bugs? Eewww.

I used to drop a cicada into the flock and watch all hell break loose when one chicken (with the cicada) would run around with all the other ones after her trying to snag her treat.

Oh, I don't mind bugs. And being originally a farm boy, I'm not even overly concerned with the crap (literally) that they'll eat.

It's just that some people might find it odd that you're feeding chickens minced up chicken fetuses for their delectation. I know, I know, the chickens don't mind (because a good case can be made for chickens not having a mind), but....I mean, gosh.

And isn't that how Mad Cow disease got started???

Of course, I also heard that Tom Cruise was planning to eat the baby's placenta, so what the hey!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:My comment wasn't meant to be about the image, it was just a fun link. There must be an updated version of the stoned babysitter legend, with a microwaved baby substituting for the baked one.

I have my own version of the stoned babysitter story, but it doesn't involve microwaves.... :mrgreen:

The way I heard it, the babysitter wasn't the only one stoned at the time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:54 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Biggest disaster is what it did to my moms cooking. From a decent, if disinterested cook, she lost all understanding of what real food tasted like through it's use. I recall one week, where we had Chicken leg, jacket potato and sweetcorn each of the seven days... with each item in the same position for every meal. AAAARRGGHH!!! :shock:

You'll not be surprised to hear I don't own one!

regards

Ian

Ian, Larry's question immediately conjured up a bad memory of a mother-in-law meal but after reading your account, there's no point. You've got me beat by about four days. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:04 pm

[quote="
Oh, I don't mind bugs. And being originally a farm boy, I'm not even overly concerned with the crap (literally) that they'll eat.

It's just that some people might find it odd that you're feeding chickens minced up chicken fetuses for their delectation. I know, I know, the chickens don't mind (because a good case can be made for chickens not having a mind), but....I mean, gosh.

And isn't that how Mad Cow disease got started??? [/quote]

I like to weird out people by referring to their eggs as boneless chicken or unborn chickens.

In my case, the eggs weren't quite minced-up fetuses because I had no roosters. And don't forget that eggs are pretty complete nutritionally, with the exception of Vit C. I also added the ground-up shells back in their diet to help replace their calcium from egg-laying.

Mad Cow (BSE) was started by adding meat supplements derived from another mammalian species (sheep) that were suffering from scrapie, a related disease--otherwise, we'd have to worry about those disease-causing prions every time we ate eggs or even fish fetuses (caviar).
Last edited by Larry Greenly on Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:50 pm

Before our kitchen remodel we had a huge clunker of a microwave that we could put foil wrap into. So, when I got my cute, little, built-in Kitchen Aid microwave, I put a piece of foil wrap inside with some fish. The foil wrap was touching the side of the unit and sparked. It turned the finish all black where it was touching. I was sick. We cannot remove the mark, I had the microwave guy out to check my oven and it was fine, except for the black mark. It bugs me every time I open the door. I think I put something in there with plastic wrap one time, and it melted all over the food. The only thing I use it for is reheating leftovers, and defrosting.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:39 pm

You should see the sparks if you accidentally leave in a twist-tie that is tied into a loop.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:16 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:

Mad Cow (BSE) was started by adding meat supplements derived from another mammalian species (sheep) that were suffering from scabies, a related disease--otherwise, we'd have to worry about those disease-causing prions every time we ate eggs or even fish fetuses (caviar).

Wasn't it scrapie?

Scabies is my biggest fear in life. We learned about it graphically in health class in 9th grade and I've never gotten over it lol
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:11 pm

This isn't worthy of inclusion here, but this is one of the best threads of the year and by chiming in I'll get emails about other great contributions.

My worst experience was the day the damn thing literally exploded and then burned up.

I had warmed plates in the microwave for four years, at least 800 times.

Then it exploded.

I was pissed off.

Took it to the repair place.

Sadly, told them what happened.

"Everyone knows you have to have food in a microwave."

"But the instructions read "Never run the microwave when it is empty.""

"So."

"There's no water in plates."

"So shouldn't it say never run it without somehthing water in it?"

"Everyone knows you have to have food in the microwave. This one is scrap. Not worth fixing."

I spent $70 bucks to fix a $90 microwave, and bitched for two years trying to get a credit. Finally, I got $45, and they actually re-wrote the instruction book.

Then, Janet said she was sick of the old one, and bought a new one on sale at Costco for $65.

Better than the old one, but I couldn't get rid of it. I keep it in the basement and warm up bottles from the wine cellar on their way upstairs -- with a wet towel underneath the bottle.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 am

Not a disaster, but every year at Easter time, we always put a couple of marshmallow Peeps in the MW. Its fun to watch the shapes they form. 8)
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:10 am

Hoke wrote:Of course, I also heard that Tom Cruise was planning to eat the baby's placenta, so what the hey!

Well, so much for breakfast. Thanks Hoke.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:11 am

Skye Astara wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:

Wasn't it scrapie?

Scabies is my biggest fear in life. We learned about it graphically in health class in 9th grade and I've never gotten over it lol

It was, indeed, scrapie, not scabies. It was a typo; my brain said scrapie and my fingers typed scabies. Maybe I have a touch of mad cow, myself.