The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

An evening with Mr Viognier!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

An evening with Mr Viognier!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 am

Here, in Edmonton, we were very fortunate to have Mat Garretson with us for a couple of days. Good jokes and wine stories, excellent communicator and a terrific winemaker. I felt like a wine-groupie following him around town!!

Whites.

`04 G-White Marsanne-Viognier.

Smooth, melon, clean, crisp.Very gulpable, a great introduction.

`05 Saothar Viognier.

Nose of honey, peach, floral. Oily texture, banana, nectarine, very gd balance, nice citrus.

`04 Chumhra Marsanne-Viognier.

Apricot and honeysuckle,some coconut too. Off-dry,would be good with spicy foods. Ripe, elegant, bit flabby when warm. Peach and medium bodied. Nice.

Reds

`03 G-Red.

Syrah with small % Viognier. Reddish tones on rim, nose had raspberry. Sweet floral tones, cherry, chocolate, pepper on palate.

`03 Craic Syrah.

15.4% alc. Hint of smoke,plum, cherry. Very fruit forward on palate, low tannin, good balance. A blend of 2 vineyards, needs 3-8 yrs.

`04 Celeidh.

"This is my rose". One of the darkist I have ever come across. Strawberry funky nose, violets, thyme and raspberry on entry mouthfeel. Syrah with some mourvedre and grenache.

****** Needless to say not the complete portfolio. A late-harvest Viognier and a Mourvedre were held up in the system.
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Bermuda

Re: An evening with Mr Viognier!!

by Josh » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:41 pm

I had my first Viognier last week matched with an appetizer. I was blown away by the distinct fruit flavors. This was the first time I had seen the grape.

Where is it popular? (too lazy to google)
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:10 am

Josh wrote:I had my first Viognier last week matched with an appetizer. I was blown away by the distinct fruit flavors. This was the first time I had seen the grape.

It came to us from France, and it has been picking up in popularity here in the US the last few years. I have enjoyed some very lovely bottles of Viognier from various Washington vintners, and recently came home with some from Walla Walla. Rulo & Whitman both produce a lovely wine from this grape. I'm sure there are other in that area, but those are the ones I most recently tasted.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:22 am

As a matter of interest, there is an increasing trend in Australia as well as S Africa to blend in a small % of viognier with shiraz. Gives the wine a more aromatic dimension plus adds some floral notes to an otherwise big red.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:46 am

Josh wrote:I had my first Viognier last week matched with an appetizer. I was blown away by the distinct fruit flavors. This was the first time I had seen the grape.

Josh,
Viognier reaches a high point in the Condrieu appellation of the Northern Rhone. In fact it is the only grape variety allowed in this appellation. Viognier may also used in Cote Rotie as a small percentage (usually 5 to 10%) added to the Syrah.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!