Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Basil & Spinach Pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Basil & Spinach Pizza

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:05 am

Last night I made what has become my signature dish. I used to call it faux-Pesto pizza, but that sounded too weird. It is really pretty much that though, but here's what I do:

I make a pizza dough with about 1/3 whole wheat to 2/3 white flour. Spread on a sheet pan & pre-bake until just starting to brown.

I then top the pizza with very scant red sauce, then a layer of baby spinach, an entire layer of fresh basil leaves and then the cheese blend of choice (I use a blend of cheddar, jack and mozzarella). I then liberally cover the cheese with fresh, chopped garlic and pine nuts. Bake it all until bubbling and slightly brown, cool, cut and serve.

It's a great pizza for red wine, but don't get a white within 100 miles of it.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 11:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Basil & Spinach Pizza

by David Creighton » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:11 am

i love the way the flavors of basil and spinach combine. my favorite spinach dish is to wilt the spinach after spinning it nearly dry. i chop it roughly and saute in olive oil and garlic and at the end add a few leaves of basil - enough to give a slight flavor but not quite enough to tell what that flavor is.
david creighton
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:16 pm

And when will you be making this again, and what time is dinner? I'll bring the wine. :D

I make homemade pizza about twice a month, and I think I will try this next time. Thanks for posting it, David.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:45 pm

The next time is likely the night before Thanksgiving. :D
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 pm

That just happens to fit perfectly in my schedule! You can e-mail me the directions.

w00t!
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 pm

N. of the equator

by DebA » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Thanks for posting the recipe as promised, David! You left several of us in Sunday Chat wishing we were joining you for dinner! Oh, and David C. I am sooo with you on your preparation of spinach...simply FANTASTIC! :cool:
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:48 pm

It sounds like a great pizza idea.

I don't bake pizza nearly as often anymore as in years past, but for what it's worth, there is an authentic Italian pizzeria that I order from that has all manner of what your typical fast-food folks would call "weird" pizzas - everything from spinach and sun-dried tomatoes to feta cheese and artichokes. In other words, the real sort of ingredients that chains don't normally bother with.

I also favour pairing such pizzas with reds. A dry white would still be okay with me, though; it's pizza and beer that I don't get.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:56 pm

Paul B. wrote:I also favour pairing such pizzas with reds. A dry white would still be okay with me, though; it's pizza and beer that I don't get.

That's strictly for a plain pepperoni pizza in my book
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:37 pm

Paul B. wrote:it's pizza and beer that I don't get.

It's anything and beer that I don't get. But perhaps that's because I don't drink beer. :)